V bad bird poo - help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabes

MB Enthusiast
Car
E 400 Coupe and X-Trail
Not my car (thankfully) but a Corsa has 7 or more long standing bird dumps on it across the roof

They have all gone through the lacquer onto, but not through, the paint
A real shame as the rest of the car is excellent

A test with T Cut only wore away more of the cloudy / infected clear lacquer

Is a respray or wrap then only way back from here?
Are there any guides that we can try before hand. Willing to try almost anything.....

PS, driver is now very aware not to park car under a tree for weeks whilst away and how bad birds can be

RSVP

Cheers

...PS, driver is now very aware not to park car under a tree for weeks whilst away and how bad birds can be...

Bird poo is sometimes inevitable, even when parking under clear sky.

The key is to remove it immediately, either using a hose or gently with special bird poo wipes (don't be tempted to rub it clean with a cloth or tissue paper) before it hardens.

The damage to the lacquer is done by the acidity in the poo if left on the paintwork for a long period.

Yep Mj, agree entirely

But I am after advice, tricks and proven methods before the owner has to resort to a respray

Help and advice appreciated

Cheers

I will have a word with a local paint shop but need to try did preferably.......

Anybody had any luck with other routes or remedies?

Sadly my own experience with lacquer damage (though not from bird droppings) is that a professional detailer can significantly reduce the appearance of the damaged area but they can't completely eliminate it - only a respray can.

In my case they used a polisher which improved things but didn't make the problem go away.

Tell her to use a toilet next time! :D

Okay

Drat

Anyone want to offer a ballpark figure for a roof respray on a Corsa.....?

There is a trick I used with moderate use of a heat gun or even hairdryer.

Warm the area and then polish it. There is a fine line between getting it right and very wrong but has always worked for me.

There must be a YouTube vid of it somewhere and if you're considering painting anyway then it's well worth a go.

Hi,
Have you tried a clay bar yet?
I have used one to remove previously unremovable blemishes on a few cars.
Make sure you use a good quality clay bar with plenty of the manufacturers lubricant (oh er missus!) to prevent the bar rubbing on a dry panel.
Cheers
Steve

Sadly the problem is that the lacquer has gone. It's been dissolved by the acid and the surrounding area is milky....

Not my car (thankfully) but a Corsa has 7 or more long standing bird dumps on it across the roof

Feed the birds a very low fibre diet. Bacon, sausages, hard boiled eggs; that sort of thing.

RayH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom