V8 AMG unleaded - 95 or 98?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Horrgakx

Car
Audi S4 B9
Is there any harm to be done by running "regular" 95?

I don't think it will cause any harm, I reckon the super unleaded makes the car smoother though - well it does on mine, isn't so lumpy on idle and slightly better fuel consumption.

I put £90 worth of regular in on Sunday, dread to think what Super costs
(and that £90 got me only 230 miles!!!)

What does the label on the inside of the fuel flap say? 95min or 97min??

I think I've only ever put 95 in mine. Apart from one track day where they had super on site, may have even been 100RON.

I use super as it makes it run more smoothly and is designed to run on it although it works with 95 just not as good.

I believe on the flap it says "super 95 octane". Its what I use except that in Switzerland its called "normal" petrol. Super petrol here is 98 octane. You can also find 100 octane at most Shell stations, but the price :eek: :eek: :eek:
The lowest consumption I got was obtained with the 100 octane (only one tank worth). the 98 is not bad with also a slightly better consumption than the 95 but I havn't tried it with several tanks and yet to notice a significant improvement. I'll see in a couple of months time. The performance seems better and much smoother with the 98 over the 95. Must admit that the V8 growls better with the 98 :D

I put £90 worth of regular in on Sunday, dread to think what Super costs
(and that £90 got me only 230 miles!!!)

You must have a very heavy right foot, I get more than that out of my 600 V12!

You must have a very heavy right foot, I get more than that out of my 600 V12!

I agree - must be lead feet and round town only? £90 @ £1.20 a litre = 75 litres = 16.48 gallons.

230 miles over 16.48 gallons is less than 14mpg. The '55s will do twice that on a normal run and high teens around town even when driven quite briskly.

My '55 doesn't get used for commuting etc - it normally comes out for a bit of fun and I don't tend to hang about. But I've still been getting between 19-20mpg combined over the last 1200 odd miles. On motorway runs, 27/28mpg is more like it, but Peter (previous owner of my '55) had 33mpg on some very sedate driving :eek:

If I drove it like a nun I'm sure that would be a few mpg better.

Consumption

My C43 averages 11,21lt/100km whatever that represents in mpg (I'm lousy with numbers) with spirited driving up and down mountains and normal speed respectful motorway driving.

My C43 averages 11,21lt/100km whatever that represents in mpg (I'm lousy with numbers) with spirited driving up and down mountains and normal speed respectful motorway driving.

That's just over 25mpg, sounds okay to me :)

super for the 55. c36 said normal unleaded in the book but again i only used super in it

If you are worried about engine damage, then dont worry, neither fuel type will do any damage.

I used to have a C230K which said it needed super on the fuel cap, and arguably probably made more use of it than a naturally aspirated engine because of the higher compression ratio and other engine management related factors. But at best it probably gave me slightly better fuel consumption (20 miles to the whole tank), and the car felt more spirited and eager to go, but only very slightly.

So it all depends on if you are willing to pay that extra £10-odd at the pump per tank for something that may not be as useful or as beneficial as it really sounds!

If you are worried about engine damage, then dont worry, neither fuel type will do any damage.

I used to have a C230K which said it needed super on the fuel cap, and arguably probably made more use of it than a naturally aspirated engine because of the higher compression ratio and other engine management related factors. But at best it probably gave me slightly better fuel consumption (20 miles to the whole tank), and the car felt more spirited and eager to go, but only very slightly.

So it all depends on if you are willing to pay that extra £10-odd at the pump per tank for something that may not be as useful or as beneficial as it really sounds!

I think super is only 6p more per litre x 60 litres = £3.60 or about a pint and a half of beer...No brainer really

I think super is only 6p more per litre x 60 litres = £3.60 or about a pint and a half of beer...No brainer really

Where I fill up its 7p more, and for Horrgakx, he seems to be driving an E-class (because he said it takes £90 to fill up), so he has a bigger tank than your CLK, so it would be a bit more... but I know what you mean, there isn't much in it.

V-power for me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom