VAG twincharged engines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Evening, all.

I've been thinking of chopping in the Panda for something a little more lively, and something that's flagged up as a possible is the Skoda Fabia Vrs/VW Polo Gti/Seat Ibiza Cupra in their 1.4TSi 180BHP guise.

However, it does appear that there may be issues with timing chain slippage - does anyone have experience/knowledge of this? It seems a pretty complicated engine in any event, with a supercharger and a turbo - asking for trouble?

Cheers,

Gaz

gaz_l said:
Evening, all. I've been thinking of chopping in the Panda for something a little more lively, and something that's flagged up as a possible is the Skoda Fabia Vrs/VW Polo Gti/Seat Ibiza Cupra in their 1.4TSi 180BHP guise. However, it does appear that there may be issues with timing chain slippage - does anyone have experience/knowledge of this? It seems a pretty complicated engine in any event, with a supercharger and a turbo - asking for trouble? Cheers, Gaz
Hi Gaz funny enough a friend of mine own a fabia vrs and last week after 13000miles the engine packed up one of the cylinders lost compression.
The car is fun to drive but I think I'd skip that ownership. :thumb:

From memory some members on the Scirocco forum had issues with this engine.

For example Scirocco Central ? View topic - 1.4 tsi problems
+1

Also do a search on scirocconet.co.uk, plenty of people on there also reported problems with the twin charged engines, some had to be replaced (engines, not members!)

I had one of the first 2.0 Tsi Scirocco' and it was a pile of poop from the day I picked it up!

Give it a miss IMO

AVOID like the plague.....this is genuinely a really duff engine. So much so that VW stopped making it after a relatively short time.

My local VW dealer used to keep 7 engines in stock whilst these engines were still under warranty due to the high failure rate. Seemingly perfectly good engines would suddenly put a rod through the side of the block or lose compression....many on very low mileages.

The later TSi turbo only engines are a great engine, especially the 120bhp 1.4

The later TSi turbo only engines are a great engine, especially the 120bhp 1.4

I drove the 1.2 105HP Turbo in a Seat Leon this week. Was expecting to be hugely disappointed, but what a great engine. Not loads of power, but plenty of low down torque.

Vlad said:
Agreed....That 1.2 is also a sweet engine and defies its engine size

Indeed, we had one as a hire car in Germany. Was slightly concerned when initially seeing the paperwork however in reality it even coped fine on the Autobahn happily sitting at well over 100mph,

The outstanding thing with these new small capacity turbo'd engines isn't the headline power or torque figures, which are pretty good for the engine sizes, it's the low down torque which makes them feel pretty damn quick. I've driven the Vauxhall 1.4 Turbo in the Meriva which was impressive too.

High 40's MPG isn't bad either (although nowhere near what the figures say they will do!)

Still haven't driven the Ford 120HP 1.0 yet. Be interesting to see what that's like!

That's most disappointing :wallbash:.

The Fabia vRS estate looks as though it could do 99% of what I need in a car..

Cheers,

Gaz

mct_cars said:
The outstanding thing with these new small capacity turbo'd engines isn't the headline power or torque figures, which are pretty good for the engine sizes, it's the low down torque which makes them feel pretty damn quick. I've driven the Vauxhall 1.4 Turbo in the Meriva which was impressive too. High 40's MPG isn't bad either (although nowhere near what the figures say they will do!) Still haven't driven the Ford 120HP 1.0 yet. Be interesting to see what that's like!

I drove the 1.0 litre 125 HP in a Focus.

It was really quite good, the salesman didn't tell me what engine was in the car till I came back from a comparison drive between a base model and the ST3 I eventually ordered.

I was expecting him to say a 1.6 when I asked the engine size and was really surprised to hear it was just a 1.0, plenty of power throughout the rev range for town driving.

The best thing on that Focus was the self park, it was amazing to see how it got into a tight space, a great invention.

I drove the 1.0 litre 125 HP in a Focus.

It was really quite good, the salesman didn't tell me what engine was in the car till I came back from a comparison drive between a base model and the ST3 I eventually ordered.

I really want a Focus ST for the missus. Only thing that's stopping me is that Ford have decided not to do a five door one in the UK (they do one in the US!), which is a deal breaker with two kids.

That's most disappointing :wallbash:.

The Fabia vRS estate looks as though it could do 99% of what I need in a car..

Cheers,

Gaz

Small estate hot hatches are few and far between. If you can go one secment larger then...
Ford Focus estate ST170
Vauxhall Astra estate 1.6T or 2.0T?
BMW 130 (it looks like an estate!)
Smart ForFour 1.5 Brabus

Last edited:
mct_cars said:
I really want a Focus ST for the missus. Only thing that's stopping me is that Ford have decided not to do a five door one in the UK (they do one in the US!), which is a deal breaker with two kids.
The ST only comes in 5 door, whether it be estate or saloon, the previous model did too as well as a 3 door version.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/151524755052?nav=SEARCH

& http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111570256969?nav=SEARCH

Maybe you're thinking of the Focus RS? They only came to the UK in 3 door versions.

Last edited:

Astra 2.0T falls into the £400+ car tax bracket if its registered after March 2006

Small estate hot hatches are few and far between. If you can go one secment larger then...
Ford Focus estate ST170
BMW 130 (it looks like an estate!)
Smart ForFour 1.5 Brabus

Unfortunately the Mrs. won't drive something as big as a Focus/Astra estate. The Fabia would have been pushing it, but I think with parking sensors I could have swung it. Oh well, back to the drawing board..

Cheers,

Gaz

I bought one brand new (polo gti) after the supposed improvements to the engine and it burned oil like you would not believe. That was late 2012.

I complained and their answer was it was in spec therefore tough. If you read the small print it is acceptable for a car to burn x number of pints per 1000 miles so they have you by the balls unless it actually goes bang. I just put a pint in every 6 weeks.

I luckily got out of the car last year before something serious happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom