Value for money - The modern V8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
A colleague at work has been talking about buying a Mercedes ever since I started working there 6 months ago. I've lost count with the number of Autotarder links I've sent him. Up to now he's wanted a SLK (R170). But then yesterday it was suddenly a CLK (W209). Always happy to help other people spend their money I did a quick Autotrader search and found this low mileage 2003 CLK 500 £8500 I thought that was really good value considering it's mileage and that it's still a relatively modern Mercedes. Is it because petrol is now £1.20 or have V8 always been such good value? That CLK was +£45k only 7 years ago!

I suppose this ties in quite nicely with Will's thread about tatty W208 AMGs. With W209 becoming cheaper and cheaper they too will follow the usual decline of cheap motors I suspect.

Last edited:
I suspect many 209 coupes would still be bought as daily drivers, so the V8s probably wouldn't be seen as that desirable.

Convertibles would be more likely to be weekend/fine weather cars, where MPG is less of an issue.

Will, stop tempting me!

That's pretty much what I'd got pencilled in for my return to Mercedes.. not too old, low mileage, FMBSH, not silver.. ticks a lot of boxes. And within budget too..

Still interested in the Scooby? :devil:

Cheers,

Gaz

Still interested in the Scooby? :devil:

Right now I need the economy of my A2. But next month I hope to start a new contract much closer to home.

But now you're tempting me to spend more money that the wife is mentally spending on a new house! :)

Keep me in touch how your car hunt goes, but I can't promise you anything sadly.

(*now going to read that thread of yours when you bought the Impreza!)

(*now going to read that thread of yours when you bought the Impreza!)

I forgot what good value those Impreza are.

Are you sure you don't want to swap for a 2003 Smart ForTwo? ;) Rear wheel drive coupe, sounds appealling I'm sure :)

When you get closer to finding your CLK500 PM me details of your Impreza, mileage, service etc and I'll give it serious thought.

Are you sure you don't want to swap for a 2003 Smart ForTwo? ;) Rear wheel drive coupe, sounds appealling I'm sure :)

Not really my cup of Earl Grey, I'm afraid.. :p

When you get closer to finding your CLK500 PM me details of your Impreza, mileage, service etc and I'll give it serious thought.

Will do..

Cheers,

Gaz

Yep - V8s are great value at the moment, I have to admit that I'd noticed for a while and bit the bullet last year when I bought the CLK55, you certainly get a lot of 'bang for your buck'.

The car in the link above - whilst still a cheap car - looks to be quite low spec for a 500. No parking sensors, COMAND, sunroof etc.

I spotted this a while back - pretty local to me and looked like great value:

2002 MERCEDES CLK 500 ELEGANCE AUTO BLUE on eBay (end time 01-Apr-10 11:50:49 BST)

Higher miles, but I don't see that as a problem on a modern V8 car. Has full MBSH and a gearbox refurb/replacement, looks in good nick.

£6k not a whole lot of cash for a car like that IMHO?

I seem to remember Greg (Baldguy) had a friend who sold a 209 CLK500 recently for a very low price. Can't see the appeal of the small engined ones anymore unless you're doing lots and lots of miles :eek:

Will

The V8 5.0 litre is all the engine most people will ever need.

I'd keep looking personally... There are plenty around with better spec than that... i.e command, keyless etc etc.... My previous W209 500 was fully loaded, they are out there for good money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom