Van or Car - importing to Malta

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brayster99

Car
passat
Hi All,

I am trying to find some information regarding which Vito's are vans and which are cars.. In a few months I am moving to Malta who charge enormous tax for cars and much less tax for "commercial" (n1) class vehicles. i have a family and would like to get a vito that is a close to being a car without actually being registered as such.

Ideally looking for 2006+ (Euro 4 standard), with loads of seats confort etc..

What should I get?

Thanks,

Joe

If you are not already resident in Malta you can import 1 vehicle duty free but if you then want to sell it locally in Malta the duty must then be paid. That is my understanding of the rules but could be wrong. Agreed the tax is legal extortion. Watch out for the annual road tax as this can also be very high if you pick the wrong vehicle.

thanks but..

I've read those and also spent a long time researching the whole import thang. My issue is that i dont know which vito's are cars and which are vans..

Basically it needs to say vehicle classification N1 on the v5. I know the traveliner is out of the question but what dualiner's are most like cars from factory ( seats, carpet lining etc) but remain N1

cheers!

Try this thread--- http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/gene...ualiner-goods-vehicle-speeding-ticket-no.html especially attachment post 5 and then check with MB van sales and then double check with Maltese authority since they may all have a different interpretation--- only certainty is to speak directly to someone who has done it successfully and even then the stable door may have been shut.

I thought Viano's were classified as cars and all vito's were classified as vans?

You should be asking the question in Malta. How the police / revenue & customs / etc. classify vehicles in the UK is surely completely irrelevant?

I thought Viano's were classified as cars and all vito's were classified as vans?

It depends what you mean by 'classified as'. For vehicle excise duty (road tax) I believe all Vitos are 'Light Goods Vehicles'.

For insurance purposes it depends entirely what you're using it for.

As far as speed limits etc. are concerned, Vito panel vans are classed as 'Goods vehicle, under 7.5 tonnes laden'. Vito Dualiners are classed as Dual Purpose Vehicles, and Vito Traveliners (like Vianos) are classed as cars ... because they have less than 9 passenger seats.

But like I said, the question is surely how the authorities in Malta classify vehicles there?

Having lived in Malta for 1 year and seeing how they drive /state of their roads you may be better off buying locally perhaps? Unless something magical has happened there is only 1 decent road on the whole island and on Gozo it's worse!

Having lived in Malta for 1 year and seeing how they drive /state of their roads you may be better off buying locally perhaps? Unless something magical has happened there is only 1 decent road on the whole island and on Gozo it's worse!
The roads are a lot better now - well at least some of them are. Lots of our EU money has gone into upgrading them. Some of ours are just as bad now. The driving is no better though.

The roads are a lot better now - well at least some of them are. Lots of our EU money has gone into upgrading them. Some of ours are just as bad now. The driving is no better though.

Really - which ones please? The one I was referring to was from the Ferry Port and running below M'Dina. Ferrari's and other similar exotics would drive at speed along there and then come to a standstill behind a horse and cart!

Useless info - When I was there 5 years ago Malta had more Ferrari's per head of population than any other country in the world - 43.

Really - which ones please? The one I was referring to was from the Ferry Port and running below M'Dina. Ferrari's and other similar exotics would drive at speed along there and then come to a standstill behind a horse and cart!

Useless info - When I was there 5 years ago Malta had more Ferrari's per head of population than any other country in the world - 43.

Road from the airport, Zabbar to Marsascla, Zebbug to Mdina, Mosta to Mgarr, St Pauls Bay bypass (again) spring to mind.

It really is amazing how many exotic cars and yachts there are yet according to the government nobody seems to earn enough to be able to afford them.

When I was there Abramovich parked his yacht (derstroyer) near the Architects office on Manuel Island - that one had 2 helicopters.

Really can't remember the name just the size of the thing - have a pic somewhere so will dig it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom