Vaneo 1.7 cdi M.P.G.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vinceaber

Just bought a 1.7 cdi Vaneo trend ! its 2004 ex police 96000 mls.
Its had a good service but the best mpg i can get out of it is 36 mpg gentle 55 mph driving. Mercedes figures are 39city 47urban and 55 extra urban. Can anyone with similar advise me what is correct please
Thanks and regards
vince

Do you have a manual or automatic? By the quoted figures I guess it's a manual. Parker's Guide gives the same combined figure of 47mpg.

How did you calculate your 36mpg? Was it over a long distance, full tank to full tank?

Assuming your number are accurate I'd check a few things:

tyre pressures
water temp
plug in to STAR diagnostic machine

Hallo Will thanks
its a manual tyres are correct
No read out on water temperature but heater seems ok
Cant plug in to star i live in aberystwyth nothing around here
Check was done full tank second click to nearly empty yellow light on which means 6 ltres left. It fills to 54 litres and the reserve light comes on and fills to 49 ltres. 6 litres in reserve as per book
Checked over long distance aberystwyth to wrexham several journeys, light traffic and night time virtually no traffic
would appreciate your advice and the way forward if wrong
regards vince

Apologies for yet more questions, just trying to set the scene:

How many people & luggage were in the car?
You say 55mph, was that average over the whole journey or typical dual carriage way cruise speed?
Quite a few hills in mid and north Wales, were you in top gear?

Lo again will and thanks
Just me in the car, not dual carriage but low traffic steady.
Hills are not steep and i didnt change down at all
The car was happy purring along and i was trying for best mpg
I have a clk 320 that does it easily and comfortably at the same 36 mpg cruise control on.
My asking is to decide whether 36 mpg is realistic for the vehicle and just get on with it or spend time and money putting things right, i dont know whats right ?
I found a polish forum which said he was getting 420 kms / tank
How could mercedes and parkers be so far out ?
regards - vince

Not knowing the car really, I'd say that 47mpg (combined) would be an accurate number. So why you are only achieving 36mpg is hard to say. It sounds as if you're driving sensibly and smoothly. So this all now makes me think there is a mechanical-electrical reason why you're using too much fuel. But without a STAR machine it'll be difficult. Next time you're in Wrexham it might be worth a visit to Mercedes in Chesire.

Are there lots off roundabouts and junctions on the A494? Naturally, accelerating a car up to 60mph every 5-10 miles will hinder mpg.

BTW you don't have a roof rack on do you?

no roof rack or other possibilities, some roundabouts near wrexham but not much,
I guess i will get a star diagnostic done next time wrexham and maybe i will get feedback from other vaneo members.
Thanks for all your help and interest Will
regards - vince

Was that by any chance the White one that was on EBay in Glasgow "Don't mess with Jimmy, he doesn't like time wasters" ?

Just wondering as I was watching that one and wondered what happened to it.

current cold temps will affect mpg considerably and also distance travelled. u need about 30-50 miles after engine is warm to get close to 47mpg

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but was there any resolution to this as I'm getting exactly the same problem with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom