Very sluggish E320 with very high rev counters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaanja

Car
E320 2001
Hi...would greatly appreciate any help. My 2001 E320 has been very sluggish over the past 2 weeks and the rpm on the tachometer is very high. Even when driving at 30mph, it goes to 3000rpm. At 40mph, it goes to 4000rpm. Anything over 40mph and it clearly struggles. It's as if something is holding it back...like a lot of drag. Never used to be like this. All I can think is, and I don't see the connection, is that a month ago the battery was completely discharged. It was charged overnight and since then there have been these issues like the sluggishness, the high rev counters, the loss of pixels on the outside temperature display.

Thanks in advance.

Loss of pixels is probably unrelated, and is a common problem afflicting 210 instrument clusters.
I just had trouble sorting mine out.
the instrument cluster is held in by friction and can be removed, usin a special MB tool, or like I did, using bent coat hangers.
Basically the 2 small LCDs on the cluster suffer from a design flaw and over time are quite likely to pixellate. The ribbon is pressed to the motherboard to make contact, using a rubber/ foam strip. As this strip looses strength, the contact suffers; and the solution is to insert a bit of rubber/ plastic (I cut a bit of old credit card platic) to re-exert sufficient pressure... :)
There are people who will do a proper job for you, by changing the connection completely for a fee.
I have used ACTronics in Colchester (google them) and they are superb.

Thanks very much for the responses. The instrument cluster bit sounds a bit too complicated for the likes of me! I do recollect reading about ACTronics on other threads. Will check them out, thanks.

The oil and air filter were changed in Jan. I just found a guide on here on how to clean the MAF sensor.Will give that a go. Do you reckon that could be causing the sluggishness and drag?

Disconnect the MAFF temporarily as a test the engine will default to an internal map but should run reasonably well. if there is little change its doubtful its the MAFF To be honest it sounds as if your car is going into" limp home" mode due to a fault somewhere. Best to get the fault codes read. You might have a autogearbox problem--- the gearbox ECU talks to the engine ECU.

Will do that, thanks. Just need to find some torx bits now!

Disconnected the MAF sensor and drove it for 2 days, but with no difference whatsoever. Would this point to a much more serious problem? Thanks.

At 4k, if you lift of I take it the car coasts and not shudders to a stop? How is the transmission fluid level? Is the engine working or just revving? Have you reset the transmission? It could be an electricl problem that is now bugging the transmission, have you got water in the ECU?

Last edited:
auto box? try checking the oil level, it will tell you how in the service manual. at 3000 rpm the does the engine seem smooth. if so its almost certainly a transmission fault. after that it would be worth having it looked at professionally before you start throwing cash at it. if you're anywhere near Spalding in lincs let me know and I'll have a look no charge.

At 4k, if you lift of I take it the car coasts and not shudders to a stop? How is the transmission fluid level? Is the engine working or just revving? Have you reset the transmission? It could be an electricl problem that is now bugging the transmission, have you got water in the ECU?

At 4k, it struggles and the drive isn't smooth at all. It feels like a drag. The engine sounds like it is struggling to cope, as if there is some kind of blockage somewhere if you know what I mean. Being mechanically challenged, that's the best I could describe it without getting into the technicalities! How does one reset the transmission? I'll check the transmission fluid level. At idle, the rev counter is at around 1200 to 1300 rpm if that helps at all.

auto box? try checking the oil level, it will tell you how in the service manual. at 3000 rpm the does the engine seem smooth. if so its almost certainly a transmission fault. after that it would be worth having it looked at professionally before you start throwing cash at it. if you're anywhere near Spalding in lincs let me know and I'll have a look no charge.

Thanks for your offer of help. I'm based in W.London unfortunately. Oil level is fine. At 3000 rpm and above, the engine does not seem smooth at all. The initial spurt up to around 25-30mph seems okayish, but then it's downhill after that.

I guess a trip to the mechanic beckons!

This happened as a result of the battery going flat and then being recharged. So forget anything to do with the gearbox.

When it was recharged was the key in the ignition? If yes...oh dear.

You need a mechanic with STAR (the Mercedes diagnostic system). He will be able to pinpoint the fault. Don't go anywhere without this system.

No, the key was not in the ignition when it was being recharged. I'll try and find a local mechanic with access to STAR. Thanks for the advice.

Also, it might be worth pointing out, though I'm not sure it would have much relevance, after the battery recharge, I ran into an issue with the ESP/ABS popping up on the display. After parking up and switching off, the car wouldn't turn over. The AA man spent at least 45 mins on it, but couldn't figure it out. Tried the instructions on W210 non start - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums by disconnecting the supply fuse to the ECU cooling fan and it worked a treat. Now, I don't actually know if this could be related in any way or not. Clutching at straws, really...but the best bet would be to find someone with STAR.

the esp/abs warning light is just indicating a fault with the engine management system, also just unplugging the maf is not a clear indicator of the maf being faulty becasuse the IAT sensor in built in, by unplugging the maf you are also putting the IAT sensor open circuit so the engine will remain or go into limp home.
the engine management system performs a maf cleaning procedure every time the ignition is cycled off and then on where is passes current through the maf sensor to clean it from any contaminates, if you try to start it with a low battery while performing the procedure it could knock out the sensor. that said have a propper diag done with someone with the appropriate equipment.
cheers
chris

the esp/abs warning light is just indicating a fault with the engine management system, also just unplugging the maf is not a clear indicator of the maf being faulty becasuse the IAT sensor in built in, by unplugging the maf you are also putting the IAT sensor open circuit so the engine will remain or go into limp home.
the engine management system performs a maf cleaning procedure every time the ignition is cycled off and then on where is passes current through the maf sensor to clean it from any contaminates, if you try to start it with a low battery while performing the procedure it could knock out the sensor. that said have a propper diag done with someone with the appropriate equipment.
cheers
chris

Maybe the gears are not changing and you are stuck in 2nd? Do the gears change?

cheers
chris

Is ESP / ABS not to do with the braking / traction control system ?

I'm taking it down to a garage tomorrow, which has STAR so hopefully will be able to figure out the problem.

As far as the gears are concerned, it just shows D on the cluster.

I'm taking it down to a local garage tomorrow, which has STAR. Hopefully, they'll nail it down. As far as the gears go, it always shows D in the cluster when driving.

Is ESP / ABS not to do with the braking / traction control system ?

yes they are, the esp works by reducing engine power output. by talking to the engine ecu telling it to reduce power because the wheels are turning at different speeds or wheel spinning, this is why clarkson and the stig turn off traction control when racing round the track, believe it or not most modern vehicle systems talk with each other for example the abs/esp ecu also communicates with the vehicles ICE system to increase the volume on the radio as road speed increase to compensate for road and wind noise,
the esp works by reducing the power output of the engine, that's the connection, so a fault with one system will affect the other, had exactly the same problem with an audi allroad where the complaint was the esp/abs light on the dash. a diagnostic revealed a code relating to an engine load sensing problem, an oscilloscope confirmed a faulty MAF, this was replaced and the customer drove away only to return later to tell me how much more powerful the engine was

HTH
Chris

I know this sounds odd, but have you checked your rear tire pressures? Mine was doing the same, and it turned out I has a leaky rear alloy, keeing the air in around 22psi.

THe box was sensing an imbalance in grip due to this, and holding onto each gear more than usual. I guess this is a real-life result of what Autopian above was saying.

I got the alloy sorted, checked it held air at the right psi, and noticed it was still doing the same, as the gearbox had learned that I'd been revving higher than normal. I did a gearbox reset (search this forum, there's advice on how to do it) and now everythings fine.

well, with that issue anyway, i still have a list as long as my arm of jobs that need doing. BTW, I have the same car, same year, so it could be a similar fix.

Oddly, the pixels have just decided to go AWOL on my display too (including the central display) but I'm pretty sure its coincidence.

Best of luck Gaanja, hope it's nothing major.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom