Video in motion / Mercedes ME / European light adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FateSynchro

Car
E63 AMG S / Ford Ranger Hawk 2018 / MG ZT / MG ZR Turbo
Guys,

As per the title can anyone shed some light on how to get Mercedes ME to work with the unlock and start things ive downloaded the app but it wont let me activate it, shall i just pop into Merc dealer and set it up?
Also how do i enable Video in motion and how do i adjust my lights for driving abroad?

Sorry for the million questions, going to Worthersee on Saturday and would really like to get those things sorted on Friday before i go!

Thanks!

I had my Mercedes Me set up by dealership but had to contact the online team to set the lock/unlock function.

It would be helpful for forum members if you specify your car year of manufacture and if Command or not.

In my car (2016 E350 with Command) the lights are changed via onboard computer.

Can't help with video in motion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had my Mercedes Me set up by dealership but had to contact the online team to set the lock/unlock function.

It would be helpful for forum members if you specify your car year of manufacture and if Command or not.

In my car (2016 E350 with Command) the lights are changed via onboard computer.

Can't help with video in motion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry car spec's are in my signature but as i type this i realise you wont see that on tapatalk etc.

So yeah, its a 2014 E63 AMG S with Command Online and adative lights.

The Mercedes Me functionality is very limited on the W212 and requires the adaptor that plugs in to the OBDII port. Forget remote lock/unlock and remote starting as it's not available via the adaptor.

You set the lights for driving abroad via the instrument cluster. Select Settings and the Lights sub-menu. Then select "Dipped beams Setting for" and "Right-side traffic". Note that this disables some of the Intelligent Lighting System functions so you don't get motorway mode or the long range fog lamps. You may also have to operate the main/dip beam lever manually (you did with the Xenon ILS, I'm not sure about the LED system).

As a Roger has already mentioned, you won't get assistance here on how to enable Video in Motion.

I'm afraid you'll get no joy asking how to enable VIM. It's illegal..end of story.

Video In Motion

Thanks guys, i only asked as with my upcoming trip my passanger was going to stick a few DVD's on while we drove over but its not the end of the world if it cant be done.
On my RS6 it was literally a case of ticking a box on VCDS and VIM was enabled, just thought it was similar on the W212.

The Mercedes Me functionality is very limited on the W212 and requires the adaptor that plugs in to the OBDII port. Forget remote lock/unlock and remote starting as it's not available via the adaptor.

You set the lights for driving abroad via the instrument cluster. Select Settings and the Lights sub-menu. Then select "Dipped beams Setting for" and "Right-side traffic". Note that this disables some of the Intelligent Lighting System functions so you don't get motorway mode or the long range fog lamps. You may also have to operate the main/dip beam lever manually (you did with the Xenon ILS, I'm not sure about the LED system).

As a Roger has already mentioned, you won't get assistance here on how to enable Video in Motion.

Thanks very much you answered all my questions perfectly! appreciate that, i didnt realise functionality of the Mercedes ME was that poor...
Not worth visiting the dealer to sort it out then? what functionality can you actually do with it?
And I found the menu so thats ok, shame you lose all the extra functions you'd think being completely independant lighting you'd be able to just flip between left/right and retain functionality.

As for the VIM i'm clearly seeing its a lot of hassle so again i'll not bother

VIM don't go there you'll regret it

Why's that? its a shame as my RS6 has TV/DVD and all worked fine even on the move with a simple ticky box.

On a practical level, VIM on MB cars can only be acheived via unapproved modification, which will need to be declared to your insurer and may well be illegal.

If it was a simple tick option on the infotainment system, then you could debate the pros and cobs, but given that it requires a potentially illegal and almost certainly unisurable mod, it a non starter.

Thanks very much you answered all my questions perfectly! appreciate that, i didnt realise functionality of the Mercedes ME was that poor...
Not worth visiting the dealer to sort it out then? what functionality can you actually do with it?
Record trips, record when you fill with fuel, read mileage, read fuel level, record where you've parked up, set reminders for checking stuff relating to the car, and that about all I can see that it does.

Record trips, record when you fill with fuel, read mileage, read fuel level, record where you've parked up, set reminders for checking stuff relating to the car, and that about all I can see that it does.

Seems a bit rubbish then really... i mean obviously helpful but realistically not worth the hassle of bringing a million docutments to the MB dealer to activate it....

I have split screen in the CL. Don't know if it was an option in the E-Class ?

Why's that? its a shame as my RS6 has TV/DVD and all worked fine even on the move with a simple ticky box.

...because in the event you have an accident and VIM is discovered all hell will break loose including making your insurance null and void. It is ILLEGAL.

Seems a bit rubbish then really... i mean obviously helpful but realistically not worth the hassle of bringing a million docutments to the MB dealer to activate it....

The Mercedes Me adapter does not require a visit to the dealer, it can be activated online or over the phone with the Mercedes Me help line, all that is needed is the car's VIN number.

I suppose the process for the adaptor activation is simpler because of the limited functionality which means it does not pose a security risk.

Last edited:
Incidentally... I used an OBDII cable splitter to tuck the Mercedes Me adapter inside the dash, keeping it permanently connected while leaving the ODBII socket free for connecting diagnostic equipment or ELM327 adapter rec.

...because in the event you have an accident and VIM is discovered all hell will break loose including making your insurance null and void. It is ILLEGAL.

I dont need Mr Policeman telling me right and wrong, everyone is allowed free choice, i am aware its illegal i was simply asking why.
We've all done Illegal things in our lives be it exceed the speed limit, smoke cannibis, carry a plank of wood down the street or be drunk on licensed premises, but you dont see people preaching that, insurance is another fantastic scam... you dont even need insurance in Australia.
The whole "You've had a non fault accident so therefore you are now more likely to have another accident so we are putting up your premium" oh right but i wasnt even sat in the car when it was crashed into.... :|

I also really feel that some things are only "illegal" in the car world because people simple cannot drive and have no road awareness or logic, cars are now made to cater to people who havent got a clue, all these driving aids just make it easier for a bad driver.
Treat the problem at the root cause and have better driving tests, do skid pan tests, track time etc to learn over and understeer.... just a simple DO NOT BRAKE ON WATER would be good the amount of accidents i have seen where people have span out in front of me is crazy.

Anyway i digress, but thanks for the advice :)

Incidentally... I used an OBDII cable splitter to tuck the Mercedes Me adapter inside the dash, keeping it permanently connected while leaving the ODBII socket free for connecting diagnostic equipment or ELM327 adapter rec.

Thats a really cracking idea, well i dont have this adapter so i'll get myself down and sorted at the dealer thanks for the help Mark!!!
Does the Torque app provide any useful info? i used to have a vag version on the RS which was pretty advanced and would let you do basically every VCDS function through a BT adapter.
I remember once actually the keys locked themselves in the car and it was running outside.
I locked up the unit and then couldnt get in the bloody car honestly i was gutted thinking i was gonna have to smash a window etc.
In the end i found the self tests for the drivers door module and cycled the lock mechanism which then opened the door... Phew!

Last edited:
I dont need Mr Policeman telling me right and wrong, everyone is allowed free choice, i am aware its illegal i was simply asking why.
We've all done Illegal things in our lives be it exceed the speed limit, smoke cannibis, carry a plank of wood down the street or be drunk on licensed premises, but you dont see people preaching that, insurance is another fantastic scam... you dont even need insurance in Australia.
The whole "You've had a non fault accident so therefore you are now more likely to have another accident so we are putting up your premium" oh right but i wasnt even sat in the car when it was crashed into.... :|

I also really feel that some things are only "illegal" in the car world because people simple cannot drive and have no road awareness or logic, cars are now made to cater to people who havent got a clue, all these driving aids just make it easier for a bad driver.
Treat the problem at the root cause and have better driving tests, do skid pan tests, track time etc to learn over and understeer.... just a simple DO NOT BRAKE ON WATER would be good the amount of accidents i have seen where people have span out in front of me is crazy.

Anyway i digress, but thanks for the advice :)

Thats a really cracking idea, well i dont have this adapter so i'll get myself down and sorted at the dealer thanks for the help Mark!!!
Does the Torque app provide any useful info? i used to have a vag version on the RS which was pretty advanced and would let you do basically every VCDS function through a BT adapter.
I remember once actually the keys locked themselves in the car and it was running outside.
I locked up the unit and then couldnt get in the bloody car honestly i was gutted thinking i was gonna have to smash a window etc.
In the end i found the self tests for the drivers door module and cycled the lock mechanism which then opened the door... Phew!

I dont know about VAG, but for MB cars, Torque Pro only covers standard OBDII, ie engine and transmission.

You can try the Carly for Mercedes app for additional functionality, but keep in mind that it requires its own propriety adaptor (ie not the standard ELM327 that you can get for a tenner off eBay).

If you know it is illegal why are you asking?

Could it perhaps be perceived as a distraction. Maybe a section in the driver training about how to drive whilst watching telly?

To your point about the legal aspect... some of us here may indeed be smoking cababis, but we still don't allow threads on how to get it.....

I dont know about VAG, but for MB cars, Torque Pro only covers standard OBDII, ie engine and transmission.

You can try the Carly for Mercedes app for additional functionality, but keep in mind that it requires its own propriety adaptor (ie not the standard ELM327 that you can get for a tenner off eBay).

Thanks again Mark, i'll have a look into the Carly thing and see whats what!

If you know it is illegal why are you asking?

Could it perhaps be perceived as a distraction. Maybe a section in the driver training about how to drive whilst watching telly?

I was honestly asking on behalf of my passanger which i did say in my previous replies.
And im not here to have an argument or to make waves, we all love cars and i appreciate its illegal, i was just making a point that everyone breaks the law at some point and some rules are a little bit more aimed at people who would actually watch the DVD while driving and cause an accident then blame someone else or sue Mercedes because the car made them crash, the society we live in today is crazy.....
My purpose was solely for my passanger hence the question but for the hassle it looks like to do or the cost i wont be bothering.

As for the test thing, i think all aspects should be covered i know your taking the mic by saying how to watch tv while driving but the amount of folk that watch videos on FB on there phones while driving etc is disgusting, i really think driving tests need a big kick up the ar$e and made far more involved.

To your point about the legal aspect... some of us here may indeed be smoking cababis, but we still don't allow threads on how to get it.....

Yes i know :) i understand that, as i said not trying to make waves just friends... i was genuinely asking on behalf of my passanger, my EX had a 7yr old so the RS6 TV/DVD option was ticked for her not myself.
I imagine this question gets asked too many times so i should have assumed the negative response.

Thanks again Mark, i'll have a look into the Carly thing and see whats what!

I was honestly asking on behalf of my passanger which i did say in my previous replies.
And im not here to have an argument or to make waves, we all love cars and i appreciate its illegal, i was just making a point that everyone breaks the law at some point and some rules are a little bit more aimed at people who would actually watch the DVD while driving and cause an accident then blame someone else or sue Mercedes because the car made them crash, the society we live in today is crazy.....
My purpose was solely for my passanger hence the question but for the hassle it looks like to do or the cost i wont be bothering.

As for the test thing, i think all aspects should be covered i know your taking the mic by saying how to watch tv while driving but the amount of folk that watch videos on FB on there phones while driving etc is disgusting, i really think driving tests need a big kick up the ar$e and made far more involved.

Yes i know :) i understand that, as i said not trying to make waves just friends... i was genuinely asking on behalf of my passanger, my EX had a 7yr old so the RS6 TV/DVD option was ticked for her not myself.
I imagine this question gets asked too many times so i should have assumed the negative response.

True, it's a scourge a traffic lights the number of folk who don't move off because they are on their smart phone. But the invalidation of insurance is a real risk with VIM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom