Views on this please? 124 estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are two members here thinking about that car,don't blame them or you really as they nice
The problem that car has,every S124 will at some point

There are two members here thinking about that car,don't blame them or you really as they nice
The problem that car has,every S124 will at some point

I think it could be really nice. Do you know estimated costs of the subframe mounts to repair?

Might be worth looking for another? I like the colour though, it's fairly local though and looks well maintained apart from the mentioned issues.

They all start rot rot there though so if you like it,go for it
As for the price,don't know really but is best you go and look at it first

Giving it serious thought. Need to make sure I am doing the right thing given the SL is not quite finished yet and my other car needs a few bits.
Could easily end up with three non runners if I am not careful!

As you say though if they all go there may as well do this one.

Found a white one but it doesnt have a sunroof ...

Last edited:
That looks like a nice car but what about item no 151362062388 on eBay?

I don't think I can see a page link, looking at it on a phone app.

Air-con "needs re-gas". Or possibly "I've tried re-gassing it and discovered that actually there's something rather more expensive wrong with it".
(Perhaps I'm just being cynical here!)

That looks like a nice car but what about item no 151362062388 on eBay?

I don't think I can see a page link, looking at it on a phone app.

Thanks .. I had considered that one but knowing what I am like I will start replacing everything so looking for something a bit more tired.
Also being a 96 appeals more than an earlier one. Colour better on the other one too ( in my opinion of course)

Air-con "needs re-gas". Or possibly "I've tried re-gassing it and discovered that actually there's something rather more expensive wrong with it".
(Perhaps I'm just being cynical here!)

I always assume the worse ... Thing is no one actually could know it only needs gas anyway. If they did they would have found out in the vacuum test? At which point it would have been filled while the machine was attached.

If any of these is nearly alright, the real issue is about your commitment to make them properly alright. Get one sorted from end to end and those that have responded to the thread that have already done exactly that will tell you that it takes time and money but is rewarding ... Look close enough and you'll always find something else up with just about any of these old beauties!

I would pay for one that had less bodywork issues rather than more as a guide unless you plan to drive and scrap it...

If any of these is nearly alright, the real issue is about your commitment to make them properly alright. Get one sorted from end to end and those that have responded to the thread that have already done exactly that will tell you that it takes time and money but is rewarding ... Look close enough and you'll always find something else up with just about any of these old beauties!

I would pay for one that had less bodywork issues rather than more as a guide unless you plan to drive and scrap it...

I decided tonight to stop looking for now.

I have a dillema on what to do with both my cars once I give back my company car this week.

I have a P38 Range Rover and my SL. Love them both and been spending lots on both of them getting them both into good shape. Dont really want to sell either of them but only have space for two cars really. Three is a pain on the drive.

The issue is I start work self employed this week and was planning to use the SL. The fuel cost and maintainance doesnt bother me but reliability does a bit. Also I sort if prefer to use it for weekends only.

My Range Rover is needed because of the winter/bad weather. Need a 4wd to get out of the village. Also needed as I need something bigger to throw the three kids in but the Rangie falls down here because the middle seat is a lap belt so not too kean using it with the kids in.

I only really like older cars... Money is not really a constraint on what I buy but newer cars just have no character on the whole. I really need a 5 seater V8 convertible with a decent boot ... They dont exist?!
I fancy keeping the SL and getting a Quattro again in place of the Range Rover but honestly they have become so unreliable from what I read. Especially S4/S6/S8 gearboxes.

I would love a 124 estate and planned to do a proper job on one but realistically I am not sure it will help my situation enough.

Watchcame430 said:
I decided tonight to stop looking for now. I have a dillema on what to do with both my cars once I give back my company car this week. I have a P38 Range Rover and my SL. Love them both and been spending lots on both of them getting them both into good shape. Dont really want to sell either of them but only have space for two cars really. Three is a pain on the drive. The issue is I start work self employed this week and was planning to use the SL. The fuel cost and maintainance doesnt bother me but reliability does a bit. Also I sort if prefer to use it for weekends only. My Range Rover is needed because of the winter/bad weather. Need a 4wd to get out of the village. Also needed as I need something bigger to throw the three kids in but the Rangie falls down here because the middle seat is a lap belt so not too kean using it with the kids in. I only really like older cars... Money is not really a constraint on what I buy but newer cars just have no character on the whole. I really need a 5 seater V8 convertible with a decent boot ... They dont exist?! I fancy keeping the SL and getting a Quattro again in place of the Range Rover but honestly they have become so unreliable from what I read. Especially S4/S6/S8 gearboxes. I would love a 124 estate and planned to do a proper job on one but realistically I am not sure it will help my situation enough.

Then maybe store the SL for high days and holidays somewhere local, keep the RR for 4x4 and go looking for the S124 you actually really want.

My suggestion for a keeper is:
4 speed auto
Black leather ( cream ages more even without kids)
6cyl motor
History and 100k or so miles
A colour you genuinely like...

Take your time - I looked for ages to get the above in white and have subsequently tricked it out nicely.

Its a thought ... I really dont know where I could store the SL though and quite like jumping into it when I fancy. Having said that something needs to give so perhaps its a good solution. Will have a think.
I like the colour of the one posted but agree black leather would be better. I was thinking about a retrim anyway and want to track down a pair of those special recaros Jays has.

So many nice cars out there and so little space and time to have them all :)

I like unusual spec cars ... If something cool came up like a designo E class with red leather and pano roof I would snap it up and probably get shot of the Range Rover...

Watchcame430 said:
Its a thought ... I really dont know where I could store the SL though and quite like jumping into it when I fancy. Having said that something needs to give so perhaps its a good solution. Will have a think. I like the colour of the one posted but agree black leather would be better. I was thinking about a retrim anyway and want to track down a pair of those special recaros Jays has. So many nice cars out there and so little space and time to have them all :) I like unusual spec cars ... If something cool came up like a designo E class with red leather and pano roof I would snap it up and probably get shot of the Range Rover...

I asked Jay about those car chairs of his... They seem complex to fit and wire, they cost a royal mint even when scuffed up (over £2k) and then need re-trimming ... I smell £5k just to sit down! ... Then again I did just punt more than £2k for a personalised reg to finish mine after putting more than 3 units into the stereo...! Hmmmm - like I said above, you can always spend money on these. But they end up pretty special.

Been discussing with my wife ... With me being self employed after this week I need to consider tax implications. It might make sense for me to buy a new car or a more expensive used one than planned if I can deduct as an expense (if allowed within the law). I am not clued up on that stuff but might influence the decision process.
I know when I used my own car for company business (when I was employed but no company car) it had a positive affect on my tax.
Need to look into this urgently ...

On those seats ... Agree they are pricey ... They are amazing though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom