Vinyl Wrap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manofgresley

Car
CLK 320 Elegance Convertible
Hi.

Does anyone know were i can purchase the above in Burl Walnut ?

3M.

They will send you samples and a list of suppliers.

Go to ebay.com (Not .co.uk) and search for "vinyl wrap wood".

That's how I found my burr elm wrap, the type/colour you see on Bently Coupe dashboards. Came from China...what doesn't?

I'm very pleased how it coverd the brushed aluminium inserts on the doors, and spotty black dash panels. The ML interior (without the wood option) always looked very utilitarian and downmarket (like a BMW) without a bit of wood to give t some warmth and character.

The fact that i's vinyl doesn't matter at all. It looks great, and most passengers comment on it.. Cost about a tenner to do the lot with quite a bit lleft over for accidents.

The ML interior (without the wood option) always looked very utilitarian and downmarket (like a BMW) ......

That's a bit unfair! :D

BMW have been leagues ahead of Mercedes for interior quality and more upmarket feel for a good few years now.

Mercedes are starting to pull it back though.

Just compare the materials in the X5 with the ML as a great example.

It's always fun to wind-up the opposition, and in the case of the ML, I'll admit the interior is not over-luxurious... The majority of the rest of the range however, tends to be welcoming as well as solidly-made.

That being said, sitting behind that huge brushed aluminium strips across the dash of far too many Beemers is a depressing experience, having spent so much money.

Brushed aluminiun has it's place, and looks just fine on the front of many a 70's Amstrad Music system, but not the dash of any car I'm likely to spend my hard-earned on.

Brushed aluminiun has it's place, and looks just fine on the front of many a 70's Amstrad Music system, but not the dash of any car I'm likely to spend my hard-earned on.

See this is the one area where I feel Mercedes are, or have been, very behind the times, trim.

They still have copious amounts of 1990s chrome tat round all the windows, although now offering the 'night package' on many models, and the wood interiors just feel so 'old man' compared to some of the offerings from BMW, Audi etc.
Not saying to go with aluminium with the other brands, but they do nice subtle wood finishes rather than gordy looking woods, along with piano laquer black etc. etc.

The grey wood Mercedes used was pretty nice, but some of the new offerings are bordering on offensive.

This is one of the woods on the new W205...
W205_Mercedes-Benz_C_250_Exclusive_Malaysia_016.jpg

Mercedes used to opitimise classy and elegant, they seem to be getting more and more blingy and brash with each model release.

Don't get me wrong, I like some of the new models design wise, think they are starting to catch up with what consumers want, not just what the 60 year old OAP wants, and sales seem to back that up too, but it has taken them a bloody long time to catch on compared with brands like Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda etc. etc.

It's always fun to wind-up the opposition, and in the case of the ML, I'll admit the interior is not over-luxurious... The majority of the rest of the range however, tends to be welcoming as well as solidly-made.

No, not really.

The W164 ML350 we have is cheap interior wise, a real step backwards from the W163 we also have. The w166 has rectified this somewhat, but miles behind the competition.

The main reason I sold my S212 E350 estate was the interior quailty was pants, really cheap plastics everywhere, and coming from an f11 5 Series it was so far behind it was not worth sticking with.
To be fair the facelift sorted many of the really weak points, but still not as good as the A6 or the 5 Series.

The W204 C Class was also terrible, nearly a new car come the facelift due to the world wide criticism.

They seem to be getting back on track, but have gone through a pretty poor spell with that last generation of models, unless you went expensive with the CSL, SL and S Class etc. you were not really getting what I would call "Mercedes" quality.

The W205 in the picture looks very nice indeed, though I don't like the Zebrano wood effect, or any straight-grained wood for that matter. It just reminds me of 60's Formica table tops..not an image I want when I get in to my latest indulgence.

I agree that some nineties-era Mercedes had poor quality, even in aspects where mercedes were supposed to shine (like clanging doors and unpleasant hard plastics) but the Beemers of the same era were pretty siimilar in that respect.

I used to have an Audi Allroad which had an apparently beautifully-made interior, that looked great,with high quality materials and a nice bit of wood here and there.

Unfortunately, every part of the interior rattled, so the perceived quality was absent in the real world.

They say that Jaguar had to re-image their cars because the target market was getting increasingly old and dying, putting them in an awkward position, profit-wise. Mercedes have the same problem to a lesser extent but (like Jag) seem to be turning it around lately.

Have to come-out here and admit that I am a (nearly) pensioner, so my liking for bits of wood everywhere shouldn't surprise anyone.

You should wrap the exterior in the wood wrap. That I would like to see.

I agree that some nineties-era Mercedes had poor quality...

The 90s was great, it was from mid 2000s that they started to go cheap.

If it's for interior trim why not have them dipped? I've done a lot of hydrograpics dipping and the results are great!

From similar sized parts that I know people have had done, I'd guess at around £50 inc return postage.
A friend had 4 door trim strips, dash strip and middle console trim done in carbon look for £160 inc.

That's not a bad price, but getting a bit close to what you could get the actual wood triim pieces in good condition from a scrappy...

The Burr Walnut Console that surrounds the Climate control on the Ml, for instance, is available new for £45 on ebay, though I haven't researched the door inserts lately.

Obviously, if you wanted something "current" like carbon or camoflage, that's not an option..

Ok, so what would a hydrographic dip for say, the front of the Comand (Nav/Sound system) cost?

Resurrecting this thread: where can I get this done or is wrapping better?

Does it have a high- gloss finish and how well does it stand up to everyday wear and tear?

I have walnut trim in the 212 and it's fading in places and there are some modifications done that need: ahem...covered ;)

As far as i am aware a good company will lacquer it and polish to a high shine so will be fairly hard wearing.

Tony.

Druk said:
Resurrecting this thread: where can I get this done or is wrapping better? Does it have a high- gloss finish and how well does it stand up to everyday wear and tear? I have walnut trim in the 212 and it's fading in places and there are some modifications done that need: ahem...covered ;)

Hydro dip will require trims to come off.
Wrap can be done on the trim itself without removing.
Wrap is easily reversible but dip isnt.

Both equally hard wearing and has gloss depends on what type of wrap u choose.

Depends on where u r based, there are a few good wrapping companies around.

Pwpro, Bossdog, TLC detailing ....

I know someone with a hydro dipping company if you get stuck Derek?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom