Vinyl ,,,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gl boy

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes ML 350 , E220 cabriolet Amg premium plus , Porsche 968 sports
The last 18 months or so I've been collecting vinyl from mainly the 80s , in particular the pet shop boys :rock: I know !!! Don't laugh , but can't believe how the price of their vinyls have escalated :confused: ,,, am I crazy for collecting it ?? Hopefully it's a good investment for the future ???

Lol i still have loads of late 70's early 80's punk on vinyl....and you think it may be valuable?

Tony.

Lol i still have loads of late 70's early 80's punk on vinyl....and you think it may be valuable?

Tony.

Some of them are yes , the rare ones fetch stupid money , I could have had a new MB for what I've paid for my vinyl ,,, some aren't worth much but some are stupid money :fail

Ho, Ho. I suspect quite a few of us here have lots of records from the golden age of popular music and the Dansette.

Some of them are yes , the rare ones fetch stupid money , I could have had a new MB for what I've paid for my vinyl ,,, some aren't worth much but some are stupid money :fail

so how do you find out which ones are?

Tony.

If you were a bit closer, you could have the stuff I have left…mostly 80's but you probably wouldn't thank me. About the rarest I have is Black Sabbath's Paranoid on 12" clear vinyl. I embraced the CD revolution early and gave records away at every opportunity and only have the ones I missed left.

I am big into my music and the only format for me has been vinyl. With the right music system you cant beat the sound.

If you were a bit closer, you could have the stuff I have left…mostly 80's but you probably wouldn't thank me. About the rarest I have is Black Sabbath's Paranoid on 12" clear vinyl. I embraced the CD revolution early and gave records away at every opportunity and only have the ones I missed left.

I'd take you up on your offer if I was closer :thumb: nice of you to offer :cool: , as for your black sabbath vinyl it would be worth checking out as their stuff if pretty collectable too ,,, on a throw names about , my dad was mates with ozzy and lived few doors away from him too growing up ,,, they were still mates till my dad passed away 3 years ago ,,,

I am big into my music and the only format for me has been vinyl. With the right music system you cant beat the sound.

Too right I have a technics system and amp for mine and it's awesome :thumb::cool:

as the talk is vinyl I thought people might like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GuCdsyCWmt8

Vinyl .......the stuff of dreams.

People collect vinyl for 2 basic reasons. One is as an investment and the other is because they just love the things. Either the era, the artist or the label or whatever floats your boat.
If you are doing it as an investment, then be very selective on what you buy. Always buy top condition complete with original covers/inserts etc.
I still have many thousands of them. I never play them, but have copied most of them as 320K mp3's which get played in the car.
Personally I find the analogue 'sound' of vinyl to be virtually indistinguishable from a good 320K mp3 given average sound reproduction audio equipment. To be able to clearly differentiate between mp3 and vinyl requires very high quality equipment - and younger ears than mine. Mine are now shot to blazes and I doubt I hear anything above about 8K unless its very loud.
So collect vinyl by all means, but I can see the day when only the very rare stuff in excellent condition will have value worth mentioning.
Dont expect your old overplayed Elvis LP's that you have carted around to parties in the 1950's to be worth buckets of cash.

If you treasure your vinyl then the first thing you should have is decent cleaning strategy.

A proper record cleaner, quality inner sleeves and protecting covers for your sleeves at a minimum.

Then a well set-up turntable with a proper tonearm and quality cartridge that is aligned and tracks properly if you want to play them.

For me, vinyl is still king.

If you treasure your vinyl then the first thing you should have is decent cleaning strategy.

A proper record cleaner, quality inner sleeves and protecting covers for your sleeves at a minimum.

Then a well set-up turntable with a proper tonearm and quality cartridge that is aligned and tracks properly if you want to play them.

For me, vinyl is still king.

Couldn't agree more LTD , only way :thumb:

Funnily enough a few weeks, I reinstated my turntable (Rega Planar 2), bought in 1983, and showed my kids the joys of vinyl collection from the 80's, cannot believe how good it sounds, much warmer and less clinical.

The kids think I am bonkers mind you:cool:

Funnily enough a few weeks, I reinstated my turntable (Rega Planar 2), bought in 1983, and showed my kids the joys of vinyl collection from the 80's, cannot believe how good it sounds, much warmer and less clinical.

Lollllll, my nephew last year was at my work when I had one delivered and he said his will that fit in the disc drive lol :confused::confused: I explained to him what it was , since then when ever we go out shopping ( not often ) he's scouring the second hand shops looking for records I've not got lol ,,,
There's nothing like the sound of vinyl , get every sound IMO

Get a new stylus ASAP.

The rubber suspension will have degraded seriously with age and this will damage your records.

I would guess you have an Audio Technica AT95E or a Nagaoka MP10 fitted ......

A properly mastered cd will sound just as good,if not better on a real system.

A CD will never sound as good a properly mastered vinyl on a good system.

The never ending Audiophile debate,Sorry should of added IMO.:D:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom