Virgin hiking prices again - What Freeview box?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
VM putting up its prices again it seems. Around 5%

We have one of their Tivo boxes. We don't subscribe to movies or sport - we just use the box for recording TV.

Plan on getting one of these Freeview HD recorders - any ideas on which is the best please? Any others out there?

Hoped for a Sony one but they no longer make such an item.

https://www.johnlewis.com/humax-dtr-t2000-youview-smart-1tb-freeview-hd-digital-tv-recorder/p2043360

https://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic...with-1tb-hdd-recorder/p2257227?navAction=jump

I have had a Humax box for years ..

We've had a Humax for six months. Personally, I find it the most obstructive piece of junk I've ever bought. The remote is particularly quirky. It was bought to replace the Panasonic all-in-one that was too big for the new lounge arrangement and that found itself relegated to the bedroom.

Humax? Never again.

Im stuck with Virgin for a while on my current contract. Will be looking to go elsewhere when its done.

I'm totally Virgin (!) though, Its their cable to my gaff and it carries my landline, 'tinternet and TV stuff. Do they rip their cable out when you are done with them? And do the new guys or girls come along and lay news cable John wonders.

We've had a Humax HD box for about 18 months and it's been fine. We only use it for FreeView.

Ours is a BT YouView+ one ... it was significantly cheaper to take a 12 month BT TV subscription (and cancel at the end) than buy a box :)

We have, or more correctly, had a Humax, the FVP4000T. Connected to our Sony tv. Why 'had'? Because it's a pile of poo... Slow to start up, clunky guide, noisy fan/hdd. Add to that there appears to be a issue working with the current range of Sony TVs. Not sure if it's just the most current firmware but suffice to say it's in the bin now..

Last edited:
Im stuck with Virgin for a while on my current contract. Will be looking to go elsewhere when its done.

I'm totally Virgin (!) though, Its their cable to my gaff and it carries my landline, 'tinternet and TV stuff. Do they rip their cable out when you are done with them? And do the new guys or girls come along and lay news cable John wonders.

They won't rip out the cable. If you are unlucky, they will disconnect you at the cab but unlikely as if you ever wanted to reconnect, they would have to connect in the cab again.

We've had a Humax for six months. Personally, I find it the most obstructive piece of junk I've ever bought. The remote is particularly quirky. It was bought to replace the Panasonic all-in-one that was too big for the new lounge arrangement and that found itself relegated to the bedroom.

Humax? Never again.

DRUK. Come straight to the point please??

Speak to Virgin and ask them why they are making offers to first time users while you are paying £x amount. They usually knock off a fair chunk. Threaten to leave and they will make offers. As the TV ad used to say, It's good to talk:D:D

This price increase might be a get out for my daughter who is moving soon.
Leaving her flat at the end of the month, she contacted Virgin who told her they would charge her £240 to leave! Her contract ends in Feb '18. She does not need Virgin at her new house.
I think its daylight robbery to charge £240 to leave.

I'm looking to dump Virgin totally and just need a reasonable broadband that doesn't take to mickey with its monthly charge. I have unplugged the landline due to harrassment calls re PPI/Accident claim/surveys etc etc and get all the TV i need from Kodi addons.

........... get all the TV i need from Kodi addons.

Watch out with that Kodi stuff, gov crackdown and and websites being closed...

I have a spare freeview (terrestrial) box with youview if you are interested. If you can pay the postage I can send it over

Give them a call. I have not paid more than a month or so @full price for either sky or virgin. Moving from one to the other usually gains new customer discounts.

I have stuck with Virgin's BB and Skys TV for years, currently on a 60% discount for TV, probably about what it should be

Watch out with that Kodi stuff, gov crackdown and and websites being closed...

I'm on top of it Peter, but thanks. The thing is, Kodi is perfectly legal. Its only a media streaming site.
IP Vanish is the way to go. No logs kept by them either.
It's the guys hosting the addons that are under investigation. As soon as one closes, another opens up.

Anyway. enough said about that:doh:

Humax? Never again.

DRUK. Come straight to the point please??

Haha, Bruce :D.

Here are two instances:

1. When entering a 'record' situation on BBC1 it doesn't show the icon for record against that prog whereas it does all others; so you're not certain if it's 'got it' or not. Why not?

2. 1/4 or 1/2 way through a recorded prog and you decide it's not worthy of your time...go and try and delete it? Not till you've fast fwd to the bitter end of the recording will it let you. Why not ffs?. And it sorts things into 'folders' which also won't delete.

3. Don't get me started on the cumbersome remote.:mad::wallbash: What cack-handed blind product designer thought that one up?

OK...three. :doh:

Last edited:
.....and there is the rub. I dislike Sky on so many levels, mainly their pricing strategy/bundling. This makes it difficult to break away from them or reduce the monthly bills. Simply put: They charge me lots of money for lots of channels & programs that I never watch. If I ask to remove these bits, they will, but only by removing all the stuff I do watch.

But I do like the interface/GUI. It still probably remains the best around for ease of use. It must be simple, as I can use it without breaking it.

I have tried various Humax/freeview boxes and all have failed the ease of use test with complicated menus and setups that make just trying to find what you want difficult.

I currently (this is very sad) pay SKY £70+ pcm and hardly watch the thing. But I want my Sports and my Documentaries. So they look at what you watch and what you do not. You say can you remove the movies please (and save me money) Yes Sir, we will also remove the Sports and the documentaries. They will not give in on this and I resent that. For £70 pcm I could be doing something nice with my kids or my 124.

Thanks to all for your input.

Find myself somehow unable to go with Sky. Keep getting visions of that unpleasant Murdoch family.

VM broadband very good. Getting around 100mbps.

Not total love for Humax it seems. Slow and clunky would make me annoyed. Problems talking to Sony TV too.

Hmm.

Been with Virgin/Blueyonder/Telewest since 1994...they just put the price up by £22 per month , so after listening to the lies I contacted BT they said they would deal with all of the change over. Cue the Virgin "Nice ,apologetic guy on the phone apologising about the abrupt price change & puts in place a nice deal where the rise is just under £3 per month & is locked for 1 year...Just treat it the same as you do your car Insurance, as you can see I haven't had to leave yet.
Re Kodi...I use Sync Ghost VNP & Exodus has now become something else (;) & is far better. watching Dunkirk tonight...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom