Viscous Fan Clutch ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Non-Mercedes but it is still a viscous fan?

Would I be correct in assuming that my Viscous Fan is is goosed (or out of silicone oil) if it operates normally from cold but after the engine gets up to hot standing traffic temps, it locks = correct but then stays locked even after the engine and gauge show that it has returned to normal operating temps?

I tried the rolled up newspaper test and it will not stop the fan when hot. It would indeed dice carrots or fingers when hot.

So I am thinking that it is locking up when it should but then simply staying like that until the engine gets cold again (left standing overnight) at which point all is well again.

In queuing traffic it sounds like we are ready for take off, or mimicking a Routemaster Bus.

These fans are normally activated by a pin opening a valve to allow fluid to enter a part of the assembly to lock it up. The pin is moved via a bimetal strip mounted at the centre of the assembly bending in response to air temp coming through the radiator. One possibility is that the pin is jamming in the hot position. Its sometimes useful to clean the bimetal strip/pin assembly as it tends to get cruded up with road muck. Some WD40 and an old toothbrush or similar can be used - but its a fairly sensitive mechanism so gently does it- failing that - a replacement is the answer.

Graeme

Thank you. I have ordered a new fan clutch as it is not too big a faff to replace it.

I had a Google this morning to convince myself that this was my issue. It is scary how many completely polarised answers you get as to how they operate (or rather how to tell what your test is telling you) Some very scary ones with people saying to try and stop the fan when hot!! No mention of not sticking your fingers in there.

What's the radiator condition like? E39s cooling is always close to the limit and you might find without the viscous fan on most of the time you might find some difficulties with cooling. The rad on my Alpina totally failed on one half mile drive. If you do the rad do the water pump at the same time.

What's the radiator condition like? E39s cooling is always close to the limit and you might find without the viscous fan on most of the time you might find some difficulties with cooling. The rad on my Alpina totally failed on one half mile drive. If you do the rad do the water pump at the same time.

I am hoping, praying & prostrating myself that the radiator gunk bringer has not visited. I have no temp spikes or drops and all appears good.

Now that you mentioned this, I expect the entire car to disintegrate in front of my very own eyes.

Have you checked the sills?

Indeed. Charles this is a shining example of German engineering at it's finest, you know? Maintained in all it's finery with no expense spared.

With this in mind and just like it's owner..... I fully expect it crumble to dust every time I step out the door. Every day it does not, must be considered a bonus day and cause for celebration. I am duly mindful that like an old episode of Columbo, there should be a chalk line drawn around it where it sits, to remind me that it used to be a thing beauty and not a pile of dust on the drive way.

It is slowly but surely munching its way through the contents of mt wallet. I now have to lie to Mrs M about why I am "just popping out" as I visit the nearest motor factors.

Why oh why we do this, I have no idea. If we enjoy it? We must be doing it wrong!!

I've just got to the point where my wife no longer asks me. What I'm doing with my free weekend or my wallet any longer she just assumes it's going to my 'first love' as she calls it.

I find my cars so frustrating but for some reason I just can't stop collecting tools, parts and diy-ing.

I know the feeling... I bought my W210 knowing it had some faults and that I would have to throw some cash at it to keep it alive. I've spent over 4 figures on a car that's not even worth it financially. They are almost 10 a penny these days to pick up nice and cheap, but I just cant stop renewing parts here and there. Its almost an obsession! I get stick from all my work collegues about how much money I spend on it, but I actually enjoy making it newer and newer each time! Theres some weird satisfaction about keeping it going!

I'm sure MoT time will probably wipe the satisfaction off my face though :(

Now the big one.....which way to undo the big nut?

attachment.php

This may depend on the big nut that is controlling the spanner ;ˆ) A quick Youtube shows it to be a reversed thread if standing behind looking in. Or was in front looking back? Maybe a Youtube of a US car.

Luckily I have a right handed spanner at my disposal.

Not to hijack but I'm doing my vfc and rad swap tmrw on my 300ce are we still talking about Bruce's BM or is the nut for merc? I thought merc had an Allen key

Checked mines an 8mm allen, do the Allen's also have left and right hand threads?

know the feeling... I bought my W210 knowing it had some faults and that I would have to throw some cash at it to keep it alive. I've spent over 4 figures on a car that's not even worth it financially. They are almost 10 a penny these days to pick up nice and cheap, but I just cant stop renewing parts here and there. Its almost an obsession! I get stick from all my work collegues about how much money I spend on it, but I actually enjoy making it newer and newer each time! Theres some weird satisfaction about keeping it going!

I'm sure MoT time will probably wipe the satisfaction off my face though
Lovely looking 210 in the picture Coney , what size rims & tyres are you running ? How does she ride and what work have you done to it ? Not many of us 210 owners left currently debating whether to drop mine for a 2004/5 S211 Estate or fix it but it does need a lot doing
Subframe Bush Other side
Something else round there thats creaking like crazy , Possibly some links
Front O/S Jacking Point
Both Front Wings
Tailgate ( got a replacement but needs spraying )
Pixels Again & large Crack on Clear perspex
Rear Exhaust Muffler
Rear Brake Pipes
Engine Mountings
Probably Gearbox or Diff mount if the rest is done
Aircon Condensor
It all mounts up and I'm on 202K runs and pulls well though bit agricultural on Cold Start in the winter
Boyd

Bruce , the best thing to clean that viscous coupling is an old, worn bath towel.:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom