Visited Pirelli Performance Centre (PPC) in Burton-upon-Trent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
The tyres on the car I use for work we're getting a little low so I've been watching prices for a while. I was torn between going for another set of Pirelli P ZERO or switching to Continental or Michelin.

I'd heard about the PPC in Burton, but hadn't realised it was open to the public. It's Pirelli's own tyre shop - they only have one in each country and use it as the flagship for showing what tyre shops can be like, and training too.

I couldn't find much online but thought I'd give them a call anyway. To my surprise they quoted a cracking price, and it gave me an opportunity to go and check out the technology they use there. Pirellis it is then.

So I took the car there this morning, for a 0900 appointment, and had a new set of Pirelli P ZERO 295/35 17 MO fitted. It's a fantastic experience - they're targeting the owners of premium sporting brands, but open to all.

When you drive in, lasers in the floor scan your tyre tread and measure the depth. They drop wireless sensors on to the wheels and roll it forwards and foot, and then back again, and it gives an instant alignment reading. Brilliant!

No power tools or air tools, only hand tools so less risk of damage around the bolt holes, and no over tightening. The removal and refitting of tyres is fully automated, meaning there's less risk of damage of the rim edge.

Spotlessly clean, really excellent service, very knowledgeable and friendly staff, and comfortably the highest standards I've come across in any tyre shop, and maybe any workshop. Well worth the trip!

Whilst I was there, I asked how much of a difference there really is between the manufacturer homologated tyres, and to my surprise they guy I was talking to was able to show me, never mind tell me!

He had a board with four cross sections cut from the same size tyre, 305/30 20 I think, but which had been homologated for the specific requirements of four different manufacturers - I think he said Lamborghini, Ferrari, Audi and a fourth.

Sure enough, you could see the differences, with different combinations of: bead shape and size (square or circular); width and depth of chorded section across the width of the tyre; shoulder profile; rim protection, etc. Fascinating.

I wish I took some photos now, including our old (N0 Porsche) and new tyres (MO Mecrcedes) side by side: the shoulder profile was different in shape, and the MO tyres have a rim protector (N0 didn't), and that's just the difference visible from the outside.

The guy explained that Porsche are not only very strict in the event of a warranty claim if the wrong tyre are fitted, he said unless exactly the right tyre is fitted some Porsches wear the shoulder very quickly because the geometry set up requires the right should profile.

Fascinating! Or at least I thought it was :)

Sounds good, I did look at P Zeros for mine to replace the latitude sports but found guys in the states say there noisy? I know there more than £50 a corner cheaper, can I see a picture with them on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good, I did look at P Zeros for mine to replace the latitude sports but found guys in the states say there noisy? I know there more than £50 a corner cheaper, can I see a picture with them on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, I'll take one for you.

These are fitted to our W164 ML63, and they're replaced another set of P ZERO. They look different on the outside, with more modern font and graphics, but not sure if there have been changes beneath the surface. We do have a set on the W166 too though.

I've run the W164 on 295/40 20 Continentals too, and they're not noticeably different in terms of noise. Maybe my ears aren't up to the job though. This new set seem quiter than the ones I replaced: age, placebo, or both, I'm not sure!

That all sounds excellent. I do have the occasional worry about tyre places - whether they know what they're doing in terms of alignment, whether they'll butcher your wheels, and whether they'll take your can for a joyride (last time I had tyres fitted, my car had an unexplained extra mile on the odometer when I got back).

This place is only an hour from me, so I shall try to remember them for next time.

Oh and that hour drive is along some awesome roads too. :D

A few photos from the visit:

bobby-dazzler-albums-pirelli-performance-centre-ppc-burton-picture10933-tyres-being-changed-w164-ml63-amg.jpg

bobby-dazzler-albums-pirelli-performance-centre-ppc-burton-picture10932-pirelli-performance-centre.jpg

bobby-dazzler-albums-pirelli-performance-centre-ppc-burton-picture10931-pirelli-colour-editiom-tyres.jpg

All looks very good but how do your Pirellis wear? Used to run a set of them some time ago when I was doing about 1500 mile a week. I was having a new set every 6/8 weeks. It was a leased car that included tyres and servicing and every time the leasing company called in the worn tyres but each time accepted the replacement cost. Not complaining they were a great ride it was just the time in having to get a new set so often.

All looks very good but how do your Pirellis wear? Used to run a set of them some time ago when I was doing about 1500 mile a week. I was having a new set every 6/8 weeks. It was a leased car that included tyres and servicing and every time the leasing company called in the worn tyres but each time accepted the replacement cost. Not complaining they were a great ride it was just the time in having to get a new set so often.

Difficult to say, because I use winter tyres and I don't record mileage on change over.

That said the Pirelli P ZEROS which have just been replaced were fitted 50,000 miles ago in September 2012. When the Pirellis were removed there was 3.X mm of tread left. During that time we've run one set Continental WinterContact winter tyres which were first fitted in April 2013, and the rears must be replaced before we use them again.

So on that basis it would be safe to say they've done around 25,000 miles. Excellent for both a performance tyre, and for a winter tyre!

As promised, here you go. Apologies, the wheels are filthy!

bobby-dazzler-albums-pirelli-performance-centre-ppc-burton-picture10935-new-pirelli-p-zero-rather-dirty-wheels.jpg

Both our cars came from the factory on P Zero's.

That's just the sort of place I'd go if it were closer, its a bit of a drag from Surrey.

Both our cars came from the factory on P Zero's.

That's just the sort of place I'd go if it were closer, its a bit of a drag from Surrey.

There are other independent PPCs which are audited to the same standards, and there's sure to be one close to you. I'm not sure whether they have all the technology, and super clean appearance though. Worth looking up your local PPCs for a drive by perhaps.

The guy there was telling me that people drive a long way to go there, with several travelling from London.

It's a shame Michelin don't have the same facility !!

It's a shame Michelin don't have the same facility !!
I was rather hoping that was the one in Stoke-on-Trent, but it's "tyre industry training" an re-treading commercial tyres there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom