Vito 120 Sport X fog lights help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gilps

Car
Vito 120 Sport X
Hi
My Vito 120 Sport X goes in for its MOT onTuesday so figured I would check the lights out. I have a fog lights problem.

My van has fog lights fitted in the the lower front spoiler. The near side is not working and the dash lights up to let me know there's a bulb out. I'm guessing that there's been a problem down there before as the trim on the inside of the wheel arch is busted away and there's nothing to protect the back of the lamp unit from the spray from the wheel. I've taken the cap off the back of the lamp unit and it's a real mess in there. It's looking like a new lamp is needed.

So here's my question - should I still have working fog lamps in the headlamp units. I can see that there are bulbs in there but neither illuminates. Do they become redundant when the Brabus front spoiler is fitted?

Thanks

Interesting question about the standard fog lights but I don't believe front fogs are tested for the MOT anyway so I think you should be fine.

Thanks for that. I had already checked if they were an mot fail and as you say, they are not tested. I'm still interested what other owners have working on their vans. I probably won't bother to replace the defective unit. I don't need fog lights that often.

Well it passed the MOT with only one working fog lights so that's good news. I would be interested to find out though if the main fogs are supposed to work along with the spoiler lamps or if they are bypassed when the spoiler is fitted.

Hello gilps, I appreciate this is nearly 6 years later but I've just come across this thread whilst googling for replacement fog lights, I do have an answer to this if your still interested?

Hello gilps, I appreciate this is nearly 6 years later but I've just come across this thread whilst googling for replacement fog lights, I do have an answer to this if your still interested?

1674051731061.png

Please post the answer here anyway for the rest of us :)

Reactions: Ted
Possibly an insignificant point re: MOT,
but regulations say if lights are fitted they should work.
While front fogs aren't a requirement at all I would think an MOT inspector is suppose to ensure that they work, if there.

I was just curious to know whether the foglights added below the bumper and the ones in the standard headlamp unit are both supposed to work in Sport X models (the OP's question).

The dash detailed lamp out (didn't give any more detail), one wasn't working, so I would say yes to the question.

The OP said the foglights in his headlamp units weren't working though:

So here's my question - should I still have working fog lamps in the headlamp units. I can see that there are bulbs in there but neither illuminates. Do they become redundant when the Brabus front spoiler is fitted?

... which should technically be an MOT fail (fitted but not working)?

Reactions: m80
The answer to the original question is yes, the original fogs become redundant because the wire is snipped at position 2 (identified in attached circuit diagram) of the plug-in connector and then extended down to the fog/spot lamps in the spoiler, then a ground wire is added and attached at the ground point on the inner wing. It seems a bit crude, my fogs lights have fell to bits so I'm thinking of just rewiring back to the fogs in the main headlamp unless anybody can see any problems with this? Also I've attached few pictures to try to show the wiring.View attachment 136034front right fog.jpgFog circuit.PNG

I guess that makes sense ... simply replacing one bulb with another each side wouldn't cause any issues with the failure monitoring, whereas adding an extra pair might. The Sport X upgrades (including re-covering the seats with leather) were all done here after delivery to the UK - these vans all left the factory as standard 120s. So there shouldn't be any technical issue with reinstating the original connections - only thing will be if the non-functioning lower foglights (which are quite visible/obvious) cause a problem at MOT time, as m80 mentioned.

Just a quick update, I have redirected power to the fogs in the headlamp unit, to do this I had to replace the fog lamp terminals in the plug-in connectors (with a longer length of wire attached) as the existing wire was too short to make a good connection. The original bulbs were still fitted so I now have good fog lamps.

Sounds good! Checking the MOT manual front fogs are only inspected for vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018, so the obviously non-functioning ones in the front spoiler shouldn't be a problem for you:

1677003313875.png

Thats reassuring as I cleaned up the lower fogs and refitted them just to plug the holes (they were beyond saving).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom