Vito 123

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TegTypeR

Car
Vito 115 Sport
Okay, bit of a long shot here as I know there were only ever 8 of them registered, but I am after a Vito 123, the 3.7 V6 Petrol engined Vito van. Ideally I want a SWB Dualiner version (not sure if it was ever sold in that spec) but a regular van would suffice.

Why?

I want it as a company vehicle (tax, etc) but I don't do enough mileage to even think about going for a diesel version.

Any ideas or any leads would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You'll be lucky, I've only ever seen one for sale in the UK - I *think* they were intended for emergency services use. The diesel V6 (120) has the same 0-62 time but much better mpg, hence nobody in their right mind ordered a 123.

The petrol V6 is rare even in the Viano ... if that's really what you want you could try and find one of those and leave the rear seats out?

Incidentally there's no such thing as an "SWB" Vito. The three sizes are Compact, Long, and Extra Long - the first two have the same wheelbase. If you mean a Compact be aware that those don't have room for an under-slung spare wheel, so you've either got to carry one inside or make do with a puncture repair kit. The latter is standard fit if you have the 'comfort pack' on the Dualiner Compact (interior side panels, roof lining, rear speakers, etc.).

Hi Bill,

A diesel would be no good for me as I do an average of about 5 miles a day stop start but I need the carrying capacity for work use. The DPF on a Vito would be clogged in weeks and in the long term it would cost me more to run than the petrol.

I also have to run in to London from time to time, so removing the DPF isn't an option either (not to mention the forthcoming clamp down on DPF removal by the DOT).

I've had no problem finding the Viano in V6 form but these are classified as PLG rather than commercial so it's no good for me as far as personal taxation is concerned.

Whilst the 123 was intended for the likes of the Police, the MB website archive shows at least two articles regarding companies that purchased them (one was a butcher one was an aerial installation company - if I remember rightly).

Practical considerations aside, as this would be used effectively as my company car, there is no way I want a diesel anyway! I'm a petrol all the way sort of guy.

Hmm OK I see your problem, DPF is standard fit on the V6 CDI. Do you *only* do stop/start driving? Obviously a decent run now and again would clear it out.

You can see how many 123s are around:

Search results for 'vito 123' - How Many Left?

i.e. 7 Compacts and 8 Longs on the road last year. That doesn't give the body style, but you can see that you will need to be very lucky to find what you want.

Driving wise the V6 CDI is great - my car is a petrol V8 and my wife's a petrol V6 but we both enjoy driving the Vito. Being a 6-pot it's not your average clattery LGV ;)

Firstly, I'll apologise to the administrators, as I know this section is not a place for discussion.

Unfortunately, yes, stop start is all I really do. I used to run a diesel vehicle before and even with the odd long run, it clogged the DPF and EGR and sent the engine bang! Even the company delivery vehicle suffered the same fate and that does a few more miles than I do (we've now got an LPG Transit to sort that issue).

As I am office based a lot of the time, I only visit clients within my local area. Also with three young children, weekend jaunts are not an option on a regular basis.

From what I've read, I was under the impression all Vito's were fitted with DPF's from around 2005 onwards. Is this the case or are there other models (other than the Taxi version 109, which doesn't come with a DPF), that don't come fitted with a DPF? At a push, I'd settle for a 116, but I don't want something as early as a 2005 plate vehicle.

I have the UK 2007 range brochure and consumption/emissions for the 109/111/115 are all given with and without a DPF. The 120 was only available with DPF.

I would start a specific thread asking about DPFs to find out if/when they became standard on the 4-pot Vitos.

Try trolling ebay ,saw an ex met police royal protection squad vehicle on there a couple of weeks ago . compact ,3.7l petrol ,4 seats and gun locker! .

There's a 2008 V6 petrol Viano up for auction at Wilson's in Dalry very soon.

There's a 2008 V6 petrol Viano up for auction at Wilson's in Dalry very soon.

See post #3 :

I've had no problem finding the Viano in V6 form but these are classified as PLG rather than commercial so it's no good for me as far as personal taxation is concerned.

Missed that piece of vital information!

It turns out all pre-facelift four cylinder models weren't fitted with DPF's. Instead they were fitted with twin cats.

Another piece of (may be) useful information is that the auto box version is considerably quicker to 60mph compared to the manual. I assume this is probably down to the final drive ratios on the rear axle, rather than the manual being an obstructive shift!

Still once I got it, I found it to not be punchy enough for my liking and have had it fitted with a TDi Tuning chip box, which is very good.

In reality I would still rather have a 123 or a 122CDi Sport X but the 115 is a good substitute.

I have a vito 123 compact dual liner. It has had glass put all the way round and a sunroof put in by Mercedes. It's on a 56 plate. May be selling if offered the right price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom