Vito Crew cab on Dover - Calais Ferry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenight

Car
Vito
Hi All

Thinking about buying a nearly new, new generation Vito Crew Cab/sport compact similar to the old model Dualiner as a family wagon.

We do a lot of trips to Europe and I wonder what category owners are booking their Vito under when travelling on cross channel ferries?

P&O have a category for Cars 1.8m-2.4m high, upto 6m long, they also have one for Smaller Vans which aren't freight. The vito Compact would fit into the car category sizing being 1.9m high and 4.9m long

Which of these categories do you use? - the Van one is about twice the price!

Thanks

Hi All

P&O have a category for Cars 1.8m-2.4m high, upto 6m long,

The vito Compact would fit into the car category sizing being 1.9m high and 4.9m long

Which of these categories do you use? - the Van one is about twice the price!

Thanks

and you"re asking why? Book the cheaper one, what's the worst that can happen?

I've booked a couple of times as a minibus. It worked.
But few years ago I had a booking as a car. DFDS called me next day to "remind me" my Vito's not a car

and you"re asking why? Book the cheaper one, what's the worst that can happen?

Worst that can happen is I book it, turn up and they refuse me entry or charge me a big excess

I haven't bought the Vito yet, I'm trying to make a judgement on the costs coming down the line, getting charged a fortune for ferries/toll roads etc is a part of it

Any owners with experience please

But few years ago I had a booking as a car. DFDS called me next day to "remind me" my Vito's not a car

Is mini bus the same price as a Van?

By which definition is it not a motor carriage ?

Pontoneer said:
By which definition is it not a motor carriage ?
They've moan that it's oversized as a car and had to be re booked as a van.
Funny thing is my previous Vito 115 (same body) was recognised by their system as s car but my existing one as a van (commercial).

If it is within the quoted dimensions for the car category then such comments are invalid .

From the T&Cs

" For the avoidance of doubt, vans are defined as vehicles built for commercial purpose with either (part of) the rear panelled and/or a load carrying space. Vans should be declared as such at time of booking. Car-derived vans are defined as vans derived from passenger cars with part of the rear panelled and can be booked as cars according to their dimensions. Minibuses are defined as vehicles with between 9 to 16 seats in addition to the driver’s seat."

Go by Eurotunnel instead ... that's based purely on under/over 1.85m high :)

From the T&Cs

" For the avoidance of doubt, vans are defined as vehicles built for commercial purpose with either (part of) the rear panelled and/or a load carrying space. Vans should be declared as such at time of booking."

part of the rear panelled? does that mean no windows behind the C pillar/sliding doors? i.e. like the Dualiner, in that case if you get one with windows fitted to the rear side panels like the Viano then it goes through as a car??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom