Vito. Mysterious Puddle at rear tailgate.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Following on from the thread by our man Corned (although I must add that this thread is not my interest in his thread). LINK.

My 2008 Vito has developed a puzzling leak at the tailgate area.

The leak manifests itself only when the van has been stood in the rain.

If I hose or pressure-wash the van, there's not even a trace of water in the area. Driving in the rain won't bring about the great flood either. :confused:

Tailgate floor area.

VitoLeak002.jpg

Tailgate. The water is only ever seen on the O/S of the tailgate.

VitoLeak001.jpg

I'm 99% certain that the water is not coming from the tailgate itself. I'm sure the tailgate becomes wet by being close to the puddle.

Apart from railing off the area and buying some buoyancy aids, does anyone have any useful suggestions? :rolleyes:

Hi Ringway can I ask when this started how long ago ?
and has anything untoward happened ie a bump or knock on the rear ?
load space overloaded and forcing the tail gate shut ?

Hi Ringway can I ask when this started how long ago ?
and has anything untoward happened ie a bump or knock on the rear ?
load space overloaded and forcing the tail gate shut ?

No, nothing untoward has happened. I'm baffled by this.

It looks like the water drips down from the top and splashes up. Is the top seal ok and the wiring trunking?

Alternatively, has the dog been frightened during thunderstorms?

It looks like the water drips down from the top and splashes up. Is the top seal ok and the wiring trunking?

Alternatively, has the dog been frightened during thunderstorms?

Checked the top seal (goes all the way around the opening) and the wiring trunking today and all is well.

Just been out for another look (been raining, but not heavy) and took the picture below.

At first I noticed the lower trim on the RH side is 2mm lower, but when I uploaded the image I noticed a gap between the seal and the trim.

Hopefully this will explain the water getting underneath the trim and pooling.

Vitoleakslam004.jpg

Not had any dogs in the Vito as yet, but there's plenty of time for that. LOL!

From your first pictures I would say that the point of contact for the water is the raised section of the plastic trim, which means the water has to drip down from above, but inside the tailgate.
As a result, I doubt the rubber seal is the issue.

From your first pictures I would say that the point of contact for the water is the raised section of the plastic trim, which means the water has to drip down from above, but inside the tailgate.
As a result, I doubt the rubber seal is the issue.

Thanks, DM.

Next time the water pools I'll take the trim off the tailgate and see if there's any trace of moisture in there, but I haven't noticed any moisture under the tailgate trim to date.

I have had the trim off the tailgate several times to repair the leaking rear washer pipe which is now definitely fixed. If that was the source of the water I'd be able to smell the screenwash. Mercedes know about the leaking rear washer pipe problem but have produced a repair kit specifically for it. They have the audacity to charge victims £65 + Vat for the kit. Needles to say I didn't buy the kit. :rolleyes:

It's as though the leak has to reach a certain level/volume before it flows/shows itself. :confused:

Last edited:
Just goes to show;

Vitos and water just don't mix.....

Just as an aside ... there's a known issue with a connector in the rear washer pipe pushing apart in very cold weather. it's an easy fix ... behind the interior trim panel by the offside rear light cluster. Just put small cable ties round to keep it together (dealer did it on mine).

You'll know if this has come apart as you'll get screenwash puddles ;)

Just as an aside ... there's a known issue with a connector in the rear washer pipe pushing apart in very cold weather. it's an easy fix ... behind the interior trim panel by the offside rear light cluster. Just put small cable ties round to keep it together (dealer did it on mine).

You'll know if this has come apart as you'll get screenwash puddles ;)

It did have that problem, Bill.

Mercedes sell a kit to fix their problem at £65 + Vat. :mad:

I didn't buy their kit and all the connections are now perfectly watertight. :)

My dealer did it FOC. The bad news was that all the caging for the dogs had to come out in order to get that trim panel off :(

We agreed a labour fee for that which they stuck to, even though it took significantly longer than they'd expected.

OK - time for me to wade into this discussion.

(Sorry :eek:)

There are some parallels to my problem here, by the look of it. Ringway - is the splash pattern in the first two photos exactly as you find the problem, or it that as a result of opening the tailgate?

To get a pattern like that, the water would have to be dropping from some height, i.e. not running down the tailgate to the floor.

What evidence (or otherwise) is there is water/wetness at the inside rear of the roof? Is there any evidence of water running down the inside tailgate trim from the roof?

Edit: You will also have to do what I have had to do - buy one of these...

E94-Caution-Wet-Sign.jpg

Last edited:
OK - time for me to wade into this discussion.

(Sorry :eek:)

There are some parallels to my problem here, by the look of it. Ringway - is the splash pattern in the first two photos exactly as you find the problem, or it that as a result of opening the tailgate?

To get a pattern like that, the water would have to be dropping from some height, i.e. not running down the tailgate to the floor.

Good call, Keith and DM. ;)

What evidence (or otherwise) is there is water/wetness at the inside rear of the roof? Is there any evidence of water running down the inside tailgate trim from the roof?

Edit: You will also have to do what I have had to do - buy one of these...

E94-Caution-Wet-Sign.jpg

Is it coming in around the high level brake light?

You may well be right, Nick.

But is it not under warrenty still anyway?

I must start the other thread I've been meaning to post.. ;)

Okay, in an effort to unearth the source of the leak, I embarked upon a midnight experiment.

I left the hosepipe running for half an hour and got into the back of the van awaiting the great flood.

VitoLeakHosing1.jpg

It took fully 15, minutes before I saw this.

VitoLeakHosing2Edit.jpg

And consequently this.

VitoLeakHosing3.jpg

It is now obvious that the water is coming from the top of the tailgate, but the entry point is still unknown, for now.

Nicks (and Zenmans) call of the top rear brake light is a likely suspect. Before hosing, I did check the three screws that hold the brake cluster in place and they were tight enough, but that doesn't mean that the leak doesn't emanate from there. Further investigation is needed.

At the end of the hosing, there was evidence of water at the rear O/S panel, but after being subjected to such a downpour I'll let this issue pass.

VitoLeakHosing4.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom