Vito Sport X owner hello from sunny Somerset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

judojody

Car
2008 Vito Sport x
Picked up my new to me, Vito Sport X LWB earlier this week.

Its a great upgrade from my 2.5LWB Renault Trafic

It will be used as a family vehicle and also for some work (sports timing business)

I would like to make a few subtle upgrades in the new year and will be here for some advice.

These are my thoughts on mods.

Possible colour change and refurb of the wheels?

Upgrade from Comand NTG2 to NTG2.5 or aftermarket unit?

Suspension lowering?

Remap for better fuel economy and power/torque?

Any advice on the above would be greatly received.

Here is a quick pic from when I collected the Vito.

All the best,

Jody

Attachments

• IMG_1547.jpg
    IMG_1547.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 23
Hi & welcome - great looking van! Small correction though - it's not LWB! That's a 'Long' (the middle size), which is the same wheelbase as the Compact. It's only the Extra Long that is LWB.

I do think it would benefit visually from a slight suspension drop (as VW do with their Sportline vans). Make sure your insurer is OK with modifications though as some van policies are quite restrictive. I wanted to change the wheels on our and was told they would no longer cover it if I did!

There are a few threads on Vito mods here and some very clever people who have retro-fitted all sorts of stuff. You should be able to find some ideas using the search, but I'm sure the guys will be along soon :)

Hi & welcome - great looking van! Small correction though - it's not LWB! That's a 'Long' (the middle size), which is the same wheelbase as the Compact. It's only the Extra Long that is LWB.

Ah ha, so its just a longer body on the same chassis? I stand corrected!

I will keep you updated on any suspension mods that are done.

All the best,

Jody

Ah ha, so its just a longer body on the same chassis?

Yes exactly, it has a bit extra behind the rear wheels. This is actually quite significant as it gives enough room behind the axle for a spare wheel carrier underneath. The Compact Vito either has the spare hung inside or goes without one! The three lengths compared:

Good luck and enjoy the van - we've had our 120 for 8 years now :)

Great looking van, shame about those Armaplates that are fitted to your can IMHO. But as regards retro fits yes you can lower your van generally between 30-40mm with H&R, Eibach & Spaxton all being good makes. Great colour by the way

If im not posting, then im retro fitting!! MBClub UK

Thanks guys.

I'm not too keen on the armaplates, but they seem to be bonded on and I am nervous about attempting removal!

I think I'm going to go down the H&R lowering spring route as I've had them on my old bmw e30 touring any the quality was good.

Thanks

Jody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the armaplates are not the bolt through type then they are just stuck on with really strong 3m pads. Dental floss can be used to saw through pads like those. Takes a while... Then remove the door handle and clean with solvent. Polish. Replace the handle.

Can't believe anyone wants to lower their sport X! My front spoiler hits the Tarmac most days. You might want to check your clearance with a 40mm drop. Also, before you go command you might want to look at the Alpine X800D-V. Looks factory with an 8" screen and DAB that works plus it works with the factory camera and sounds so much better the Command.

Oops, just checked the year of your Sport X and see it's a 2008. I don't think your front spoiler is as low as mine. Love the colour.

Can't believe anyone wants to lower their sport X! My front spoiler hits the Tarmac most days. You might want to check your clearance with a 40mm drop. Also, before you go command you might want to look at the Alpine X800D-V. Looks factory with an 8" screen and DAB that works plus it works with the factory camera and sounds so much better the Command.

Thanks for the info.

Yep it's a 2008 model, but I will check clearance.

Does the alpine x800d-v need much coding or fettling? Will it integrate with the steering will controls and dash display?

Cheers

Jody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if your dash is different to my one. It's a 2014, yours is a 2008, but I think yours is still a 639!? My sport had command and I could change the time from the steering wheel controls, now don't ask me why but if you can do that you don't need anything coding. As for the system, it's the dogs! Everything works correctly and you get the information in the display albeit not much as Merc don't give you much in the first place. I'll put some pictures up when I can work out how to do it. I've got 17cm cerwin Vegas in the doors but not happy so looking at Hertz or Focal. You still need a sub and I run an Alpine PWE-V80 which for the size sounds really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom