Vote to stop 2.35p extra tax on fuel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

munichlegend

Car
E55 AMG Estate
Dear Chris,

Having presided over the first bank run in the UK since 1866, Alistair Darling is now about to add an extra 2.35p tax to every litre of fuel sold in the UK. This tax hike comes into force at the start of next week, just as oil prices are at record highs and every motorist is already being punished.

At PetrolPrices.com we want to help get motorists' voices heard and so we have prepared a vote. If you have an opinion about tax on fuel please vote and pass this email round to anyone you know who might want to vote as well.

If they are not saving money already like you by using PetrolPrices.com please let them know about our site too.

Here is my blog post and vote page:

http://www.petrolprices.com/blog/we-cant-take-another-p-now-82.html

Best regards,

Brendan
--

Brendan McLoughlin
Co-Founder
PetrolPrices.com
t: 01252 367225
e: [email protected]

Without being rude... Petrol prices don't really bother me that much.

I don't really watch how I drive - in fact the only real reason I drive more carefully/slowly is to avoid having to find a V-Power garage.

Maybe I'm just ignorant and should be taught the error of my ways, but 2p per litre is only going to cost me about £50 per year or £1 per week.

I'm sure I'll come to regret this post but you know...

it is not the price that annoys people, it is the fact that whenever more money is needed the motorist has to pay for it.
this maybe in relation to northern rock geting saved

Last edited:
If we all want improved services, better regulation, less crime, improved NHS and so on, then aren't increased taxes inevitable?
Given that, isn't it not too bad an idea to levy that tax on partial discretional spending like cigarettes, booze and petrol?

I've been a petrol user since 1972 and the price trend has been upward ever since and no matter what you or I think that's not going to change any time soon.
People pay about twice as much for bottled water as they do for petrol.
A gallon of beer costs about 4 times the cost of a gallon of petrol
I dread to think what printer ink cartridges cost per gallon

Do you seriously believe we'll all be getting a vote on petrol prices ?

If we all want improved services, better regulation, less crime, improved NHS and so on, then aren't increased taxes inevitable?
Given that, isn't it not too bad an idea to levy that tax on partial discretional spending like cigarettes, booze and petrol?

great how about taxing everyone with white shirts then?

I've been a petrol user since 1972 and the price trend has been upward ever since and no matter what you or I think that's not going to change any time soon.
People pay about twice as much for bottled water as they do for petrol.
A gallon of beer costs about 4 times the cost of a gallon of petrol
I dread to think what printer ink cartridges cost per gallon

Do you seriously believe we'll all be getting a vote on petrol prices ?

What water are you drinking? A 2 litre bottle of mineral water is about 60p at most.

Without being rude... Petrol prices don't really bother me that much.

I don't really watch how I drive - in fact the only real reason I drive more carefully/slowly is to avoid having to find a V-Power garage.

Maybe I'm just ignorant and should be taught the error of my ways, but 2p per litre is only going to cost me about £50 per year or £1 per week.

I'm sure I'll come to regret this post but you know...

That really is a good point about all this stuff. So they whack another £15 or £100 depending short or long haul on the cost of an airline ticket as an alleged green tax. In relative terms is that really going to deter one from flying. Kind of don't think so somehow.

Same with motoring. And probably the same with these new energy saving light bulbs. The fact they save energy means they will cost more which in turn means us using more energy to get the money to pay for all these alleged energy saving devices and green taxes.

Won't make any real difference to me I'm afraid and if that's the cost to drive a comfortable car then so be it.

That would be VAT :D :D :D

not really.
petrol has vat and tax.
so white shirts should have duty as well.
There must be more white shirts than cars. or is it because there will be a serious revolt and that motorists are less likely to cause a stink?

What water are you drinking? A 2 litre bottle of mineral water is about 60p at most.

I dont drink bottled water but last week at Birch services a half litre of vittell was £1:19 and a litre of 4 star was £1:09. I know as well as you do that it can be bought in supermarkets by the gallon quite cheaply. That doesn't alter the fact that people happily buy it at the services yet whine about petrol prices at the same place.

And water isn't taxed.

is there no vat on the water bill?
maybe not.
must be taxed in some other way.

come on guys and ladies, are you not the least bit miffed that about 80p of every £ you spend on petrol is tax or about half of your wages vanish in one stealth tax or another? this is one of the highest taxed nations in the world, and what have we to show for it? nothing except more taxes in one form or another, its time it stooped. the grass isn't always greener on the other side but i will be leaving this country as soon as i can afford it.:mad:

Yeah the yanks get cheap fuel but they get about 12 octane...

Fact of life - death and taxes.

To be honest my accountant just claims back 40p per mile for me anyway + the VAT on the fuel so the impact isn't that great to me....

come on guys and ladies, are you not the least bit miffed that about 80p of every £ you spend on petrol is tax or about half of your wages vanish in one stealth tax or another? this is one of the highest taxed nations in the world, and what have we to show for it? nothing except more taxes in one form or another, its time it stooped. the grass isn't always greener on the other side but i will be leaving this country as soon as i can afford it.:mad:

well someone has to pay for the MPs expenses as well as the national healthy waste sevices,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom