W114 1972 2owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pete007

Car
w115 200 / 230e sold
This car was (or is - may be a commission sale ) round the corner from me. The description is absolutely correct, the car is superb, I was gutted to see it for sale ( especially as I can't afford it ). The only mark on it is a slight mark on the bonnet where it was hit by a Molotov Cocktail in the Cyprus troubles - it bounced off ! The car has barely been used since apart from for shows and magazine articles. The price of these is rising, partly due to one dealer trying to corner the market, but this has got to be the best out there, a lot of money, manual and no pas, but I would buy it if I could.
1972/K.. Mercedes Benz 220.. | eBay

"The car has barely been used since apart from for shows and magazine articles." That won't change, I suspect; it's not likely to be used as a road car, and will spend more time on a trailer than on the road. What does it do that is better than a more modern car for a third of the price? Name one thing (other than hold its value...).

Why anyone would want to collect this sort of car I really do not understand; then again, I don't understand why people collect dross like cooking Austin Seven saloons, but they do. Old does not automatically equal classic and desirable, much though some peoople might like to think it does.

Sorry, but I really do not see the attraction. It is poverty-spec. It looks the epitome of dullness to me. If it were rare and beautiful, OK, but the styling is just, well, plain. It doesn't even have the contrary charm of a flaw or two to recommend it. Other than its condition, I cannot see that it has a single thing to recommend it. It's not tasteless; it's not tasteful; it's just Ordinary with a capital O.

"The car has barely been used since apart from for shows and magazine articles." That won't change, I suspect; it's not likely to be used as a road car, and will spend more time on a trailer than on the road. What does it do that is better than a more modern car for a third of the price? Name one thing (other than hold its value...).

Why anyone would want to collect this sort of car I really do not understand; then again, I don't understand why people collect dross like cooking Austin Seven saloons, but they do. Old does not automatically equal classic and desirable, much though some peoople might like to think it does.

Sorry, but I really do not see the attraction. It is poverty-spec. It looks the epitome of dullness to me. If it were rare and beautiful, OK, but the styling is just, well, plain. It doesn't even have the contrary charm of a flaw or two to recommend it. Other than its condition, I cannot see that it has a single thing to recommend it. It's not tasteless; it's not tasteful; it's just Ordinary with a capital O.

Why would you want to spend so much time ranting about something you admit you don't even understand?

I think you need to check your dictionary for the definition of 'rant'.

Perhaps I posted because I don't understand why anyone would want it.... Can you enlighten me? The 220 is motoring polenta or porridge; worthy enough, I suppose, but dull. If you want a car of that age, for that sort of money you could have a superb chrome-bumper MGB or a really good Triumph Stag.

On reflection, though, I'd have been better to copy it to the Discussion forum; perhaps one of the mods will see this and move it accordingly.

I guess it's like art, you like what you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom