W123 230te

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Samk

Car
280CE W123
Hi all. First post here! I currently drive a 280ce but am looking to change to a more practical 230TE due to having a baby. I've test driven one but was a bit suprised about how bouncy the ride was compared to the CE. Also, the front seats were much less comfortable. Is this due to worn shocks, springs and seats or is the ride markedly worse than the top of the range CE?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Last edited:
Bouncy/hard ride in estates = dead SLS* spheres 99% of the time. While coupe seats are obviously different due to the tilting backrest for access there shouldn't be any difference to comfort. Estates typically lead a harder life than coupes, probably knackered/collapsed front seat bases? Estate, saloon or coupe any standard 123 in good nick should be the definition of a big, softly sprung wafty barge

* self levelling suspension... all estates had it as standard on the rear suspension, what looks like rear shocks/dampers are actually hydraulic rams used to automatically adjust rear ride height. While coil springs are used to set the basic/min ride height the springing and damping is done by citroen-esque spheres. Over time the nitrogen in them (gas spring) escapes and is replaced by incompressible oil resulting in a hard/bouncy ride. The system sounds more complicated than it is but obviously there's a bunch of associated pipework which, like brake & fuel lines and 123s in general, is prone to rust

Hotrodder's correct re. the SLS, it's been neglected.

Front seat springs will have snapped in one or more places.

Good luck with your new arrival! I wouldn't run a 123 as a 'daily' whilst a new mum / dad, so hope it's a second hobby car.

Thanks both for the insight. I'm going to price up getting the suspension sorted then work out if the car is worth it!

I live in London and dont drive on a daily basis so having a hobby car that also doubles up cor practical stuff should be ok. I've managed so far but I guess at some point down the line I may need a sensible car!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom