W123 owner in Surrey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chunk46

Car
W123 300TD
Hey all,

I've had a few of the older Mercs in the past (W114, 127 etc) but now just got hold of a W123 300TD in Gold. I seriously have wanted one of these for a long time. I'm seriously into my retro cars, I have a small collection of Datsuns and Nissans. Sorry, that's my thing haha.

I'm a bilateral amputee, left leg above knee, right leg below, thanks to a couple of accidents on bikes. I'm now a bit more sensible and just smoke about in cars haha.

Anyway, I'm going to restore the 123, not to show winning standard as I want to use it and not be hugely concerned about it, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I'll take a nosey at the rest of the forum and hopefully get to meet some of you.

Cheers

Rich

Currently the only pic I have of the wagon....

I'll get some more over the next week or so.

Cheers for the welcome.

Hi , welcome , and very nice .

Champagne Gold metallic ? DB 473 from memory ,

I had a 280TE in that colour , great car it was .

Yours looks to be sitting down a bit at the back , first thing to do is check the level in the hydraulic oil reservoir under the bonnet ( a big barrel shaped container right at the front , has its own dipstick in the lid ) . If it is empty , beware of running the car further or the pump will be knackered through running dry . If there's oil in the reservoir it may be the level control valve is stuck ( it happens ) or the control link between the valve and the rear anti roll bar may have come off ( the valve is located midway along the rear anti roll bar , behind the diff ) . If there's no oil left in the reservoir , chances are one of the hydraulic pipes has rotted through underneath at the back - this is very common .

In proper order , these cars have a magic carpet ride and stay level regardless of load in the back .

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum

Hey all,

I've had a few of the older Mercs in the past (W114, 127 etc) but now just got hold of a W123 300TD in Gold. I seriously have wanted one of these for a long time. I'm seriously into my retro cars, I have a small collection of Datsuns and Nissans. Sorry, that's my thing haha.

I'm a bilateral amputee, left leg above knee, right leg below, thanks to a couple of accidents on bikes. I'm now a bit more sensible and just smoke about in cars haha.

Anyway, I'm going to restore the 123, not to show winning standard as I want to use it and not be hugely concerned about it, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I'll take a nosey at the rest of the forum and hopefully get to meet some of you.

Cheers

Rich

Nice Merc Rich, it's awesome.. Shouldn't need too much attention if you plan to tidy it up for daily use. Yes mate, classic/modern classics are much more fun than your average 21st century car, I get bored real quick in anything new these days.

haha Datsuns and Nissans ehh ?? Don't be ashamed fella, we all know, deep down inside that Japanese cars are much more awesome and exciting than anything else out there. Even the ones who don't admit it. I drive a Toyota Glanza as a daily but I'm also restoring a w123 280CE atm which I plan to use for cruising on weekends. The Glanza is like nothing else I've ever driven before, boy it's a lot of fun for a little car! I've also got my eyes on a Nissan Cherry Turbo a couple of blocks for me but I'm just weighing up the work load atm.

Don't know what the rules are like on here but I'd also like to see your collection of Nissans/Datsuns.

Good luck with the build dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom