W123 tappet noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lewis

Car
1980 280CE
I've just bought a 1980 280 CE and everything seems to be running pretty fine except for some constant top end noise - I presume it's the tappets.

Is this a common problem? Does anyone know of a likey cause/remedy?

Thanks

The 280 engines are known for their noises. I was also in the market for a 280CE but i may be looking at 230's now as i was advised that they are noisy engines that drink more fuel and no better performance. Although im sure the performance must be slightly better and more refined.

I wouldnt worry too much. Try flushing the oil out and using slighltly thinner semi synthetic oil...

jay

Thanks for the advice. I had planned an oil change soon, but I've only got Castrol Classic GTX (my father uses it in his historic racing cars). Would there be any benefit/drawback from using non-synthetic 20/50 GTX?

I have had really bad results with GTX. I found that on the two mercs i used it on, it went white very quickly. Its a little bit too thick for the engine. i would stick to semi synthetic 10/40 or equivalent.

Thanks again for your advice.

Are there any recommended products for flushing the engine? I've heard there are certain additives you can use that will loosen the 'gunk' before you drain the pan.

Do not use Slick 50, has had some very bad press! You can get special flushing oil, but not sure which brand is best.

Jay

Thanks, I'll get down to my local auto-parts store and post the results

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom