W124 300te 4matic steering squeal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

My 124 steering is making a squeal from the N/S front when you turn the steering right from center. It sounds like a bush. The noise is coming from behind the wheel at the wheel (if that makes sense) Any likely suspects before I start getting under the car. Oh it is worse when wet/damp.

I have checked PS fluid - all OK.

Ball joint?

Just replaced the NS front on my 190E 2.6 which was making protesting sounds when turned.

Well, for me it's definitely not a DIY job. You need a spring compressor (which I think is MB specific) & it's a bugger to get the old one out.

It takes between 30 -45 mins for the MB indy I use to do the whole thing. I bought the part, Lemforder, from ECP for about a tenner using the mbclub25 discount - Car Suspension | Suspension Parts | Car Steering | Steering Parts .

Neil

Great. Thanks for that. I have a 4matic. The front springs are a real work of art. Of to the Indie.

Without the appropriate tools or brute force determination, balljoints on these are probably best left to Bodie and Doyle.

I did mine on my W201 with nothing more than a couple of jacks and a big hammer, but I'm not sure that I'd DIY next time without the appropriate tools.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom