W124 500TE - Lets do this!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Jay, did the machine shop not accept they have messed up?
Whilst Al-Si is uncommon over the years, enough have used it ... that they should have spotted it.
There's no steel liner, a basic in their business, surely?
Great thread and I hope you get this sorted.

Jay, did the machine shop not accept they have messed up?
Whilst Al-Si is uncommon over the years, enough have used it ... that they should have spotted it.
There's no steel liner, a basic in their business, surely?
Great thread and I hope you get this sorted.

I havent bothered contacting them. I made it clear that I wasnt happy with them when they gave me the bottom end back in a million pieces and took months to even get the work done.
They charged me what I thought was a lot too.
Im not a moaner. I just wont go back.

Eagerly awaiting the block now.

I have only just stumbled across this Thread......brilliant......I am in awe.
Whatever you do ......do not calculate the final cost including your own Man hours.......scary.

Mic

Hello everyone!

Well its getting cold now. Finding motivation to go out and tinker in these temperatures is challenging!

This week I don’t feel like I have accomplished that much. Mainly because I haven’t.

Just waiting patiently for the block to be ready. There are only little jobs I can do until I can carry on with the engine.

I did spend some time wiring for the stereo amp.

I will be fitting rainbow speakers all around and a 4 channel amp. I would like to fit a small sub, but there is very little room anywhere so will see about that later. Maybe a couple of those little ones that fit under the seats.

Seems daft to be wiring in the stereo when we don’t even have an engine, but its good to do this work now, as I have all the seats out. I can route the, quite chunky, wiring in the proper ducts. You cannot get into these ducts without removing the seats.

I also fitted all the hardware and seat belts for the folding rear kiddy seats. This car was only a 5 seater. Now the kids can beat each other up out of sight.

Chris has been busy preparing the right side rear quarter panel at his workplace.

The last real part of metalwork for Chris.

As with the widebody SEC project, the fuel filler area is the tricky thing to get right.

The saloon fuel filler is high up, above the flared arches.

On the estate the fuel filler door is low down and so we must find residence for it on the 500E panel.

So many get rush these little details and get it wrong. Chris has taken his time to get this in the right place.

Chris has unpicked the inner bowl part of the fuel filler and married it to the 500E wing.

500te108.jpg

This is the quarter panel being prepared to accept the prepared 500E panel.

500te109.jpg

Test fit and adjustments being carried out

500te110.jpg

Some tack welds to hold the panel in position.

500te111.jpg

We can see some filler in that rear panel. Not great, but thankfully looks like there was only a small dent there which has been lazily repaired in the past.

This will be addressed when it gets to the body shop.

You may have already decided this Jay but I'm going to ask anyway. Bearing in mind its essentially a "one off" what colour is it going to be?
1. Since the estate was blue black metallic ? originally and that was one of the standard 500E colours keep it the same?
2. Because its a unique car, paint it one of its contemporary Mercedes metallics to keep it "in house"?
3. Because its a unique car you have carte blanche to paint it any colour you like just to emphasise its "one off" nature and stand out visually from all its S124 siblings?
:dk:

It’s a great question. The thing is I’m very tempted to go 040 black or maybe a metallic black but both the donor car and the estate are both 199 blue black from factory. That has to be telling me to keep it blue black?!

It’s a great question. The thing is I’m very tempted to go 040 black or maybe a metallic black but both the donor car and the estate are both 199 blue black from factory. That has to be telling me to keep it blue black?!
Blueblack I reckon Jay

While retaining the original blue black keeps the car "original" I fear it runs the danger of making it hearse like in appearance especially with rear tinted windows!:eek:
I would favour a lighter metallic personally.
tumblr_mbzndd6RPG1qm6egko1_1280.jpg

or
5b147833c385223da685197eb5371ea1.jpg

To illustrate the black point here's this gorgeous black on black amg estate
Gorgeous from the 3/4 front--- the slight purple tinge lifts it somehow :cool: paint or photographic artifact?
Mercedes_s124_e36T_AMG_Black_on_black_japan_1.jpg

but hearse-like from the side.:( maybe without the rear window tints?
Mercedes_s124_e36T_AMG_Black_on_black_japan_2.jpg

It's a one off - perhaps a one off colour that looks good on any car?

DSC0946.jpg

29836633722_62ea6fa907_h.jpg

19er35dasms2mjpg.jpg

195376d1289077886-does-anyone-know-what-color-car-3-3.jpg

Last edited:
Jay:Bear in mind that those little subs don't fit under the seats if you have electric

Jay:Bear in mind that those little subs don't fit under the seats if you have electric

Its having Recaro CSE's and they definitely wont fit.. So im not wiring for any subs at the moment. Think ill save up for some Jenhert door cards. DOnt need subs with those IMO.

Chris spent all weekend welding and grinding, welding and grinding.. It gave me a headache and I was in the office.

Around 4pm on Sunday, Chris had to give up as all the grinding was causing pain in his hands. He has to have steroid injections for the pain.

Anyway, the panels are both on but both need a little more work to get the joins perfect. He will finish off in the coming days.

Threw some primer on just for protection from the elements.

500te112.jpg

Don't know if this is the same " black" or not but has this purple tinge---found on this limited edition AMG sl 65
http://www.turtlegarage.com/2016/09/19/mercedes-benz-amg-sl-65-black-series-solidly-in-the-black/

That chromium black is definitely a contender. The colour has to be close to 199 blue black to save doing all the engine bay, inside the car etc. If we were to do a full colour change, it would have to be done properly and that will become a big job.

I really do like 199. Its a nice colour.

Well Serdi UK, the chaps who are treating the block with colgate extra silicony, had quoted two weeks turnaround.

I decided to take on the role of the annoying customer and rang them just over a week.

Well to my surprise they said, “yep, its just coming off the line now and its ready.”

So our TJ was despatched to Middlesex expediently in the company jet.

The block is now back here and I hope this is the correct finish we are looking for???!

Our A170 CDI did not fare so well. It seems a pulley or possibly the timing chain is rattling away very loudly and TJ barely made it back. 43K miles the car has done.. Whats that cheesy quote? They don’t make em….. Ah well, a job for tomorrow.

The charge for this work was very reasonable at £30 + VAT per cylinder.

I now have something to get my teeth into again…

500te113.jpg

500te114.jpg

Well Serdi UK, the chaps who are treating the block with colgate extra silicony, had quoted two weeks turnaround.

I decided to take on the role of the annoying customer and rang them just over a week.

Well to my surprise they said, “yep, its just coming off the line now and its ready.”

So our TJ was despatched to Middlesex expediently in the company jet.

The block is now back here and I hope this is the correct finish we are looking for???!

Unfortunately Jay I can't see that engine block fitting on the sample stage of a SEM [scanning electron microscope] to check. ;)
Certainly looks the business. In the end you are in the hands of the engine finishers and their professional expertise. Perhaps now time to refer back to that link concerning the type of pistons / skirts/rings
Manufacturer for Pistons working with (M119) ALUSIL Blocks

Thanks, we have used all new Mercedes genuine rings. I should think they will be correct!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom