W124 cabriolet rear window regulator

• Thread starter Deleted member 11979
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

It's my own stupid fault, I lowered the roof with frost on the car and broke the rear window regulator.

I am pretty sure I am going to pay dearly for this, but thought I might ask to see if there is any chance it could be a DIY fix.

I'm fairly capable with the spanners, but intricate small and delicate jobs are not my forte!

The motor still works as you can hear it, and the window moves a fraction. It has about an inch of free play, up and down.

I have a spare coupe rear window regulator which I can butcher for parts (in the vain hope that it is a little clip that is broken that is easy to see when the trim panel is removed).

Has anyone else done this job? Is the trim panel easy to remove without damaging it? Is there anything easily visible once inside?

Thanks a lot

Yes, yes and yes, good chance the cable may have snapped. When you remove the BLACK plastic "thing" that is stuck to the chassis in behind the rear interior side panels, use a sharp knife to separate it from the sealant. On reassembly reseal with the proper MB stuff. This is a main water seal for the chassis, the hood isn't when its down of course, leaks past this seal will get to the controller boxes of trixes = $$$$$.

I have the instructions somewhere for this but can't attach to this site due to its size.

Behind the speaker is the black plastic "thing" that forms a seal around the body to keep water out of the chassis. Behind that is the window regulator.P1120635 - Copy.JPG P1120636 - Copy.JPG

....similar to this.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqIOKpkE1q12C8,RBNfM0wi+Fg~~_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqIOKpkE1q12C8,RBNfM0wi+Fg~~_12.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 23
Yes, yes and yes, good chance the cable may have snapped. When you remove the BLACK plastic "thing" that is stuck to the chassis in behind the rear interior side panels, use a sharp knife to separate it from the sealant. On reassembly reseal with the proper MB stuff. This is a main water seal for the chassis, the hood isn't when its down of course, leaks past this seal will get to the controller boxes of trixes = $$$$$.

I have the instructions somewhere for this but can't attach to this site due to its size.
a

http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB CD/W124/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/67-400.pdf#page=2
http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB CD/W124/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/67-420.pdf#page=4

PICTURE OF THE REGULATOR ASSEMBLY FROM DIFFFERENT ANGLES

getImage.php

s-l1600.jpg

I wonder if the cable has popped off one of the pullies - sounds more logical than a full blown snap. You can see it was an issue so they "guarded" the tips of the pullies.

Thank you very much for the comprehensive replies, I'm going to have a look into it in the coming weekend, I hope it's something simple like the cable incorrectly sited, I shall report back once I have an answer.

Thanks once again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom