W124 Center console fettling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmer

Car
OM606 W124 Saloon.
I really dont like the standard wood in mine. It looks tired by the gear gaitor and is a light colour. Im thinking of ideas as to what i can do with it. I dont like wrapping, and the interior is all black.

Did they do a really dark wood version? Possibly spray it black but the finish would be out of character i think. Glossy black trim is a more modernish feel not 80's.

Might get rid of the ash tray and relocate cig lighter for gauges - but still unsure on that one at the moment.

Center console pic:

20161004_143235_zpspelcjbdf.jpg

What about fitting a set of the burlwood trims, they are a little darker wood. If you use a plate in the aperture, a pair of 52mm gauges fit quite nicely where the ash tray should be. I took the center air vent out and moved them all there after a few month's.

What about fitting a set of the burlwood trims, they are a little darker wood. If you use a plate in the aperture, a pair of 52mm gauges fit quite nicely where the ash tray should be. I took the center air vent out and moved them all there after a few month's.

Center air vent is a shout as mine dont work anyway ha!

Ill google the burlwood see what its like :)

Edit: looks pricey! Unsure if its dark enough for me lol

Last edited:
It's a little darker, but does go well with black interiors. I don't have many pics of the inside of mine, but I did find this one if it helps.

20151029_144006_zpsjrw51g8k.jpg

And the same wood in my other w124.

20141128_230750_zpsafhrzdh2.jpg

Last edited:
Zebrano or Burl ze Germans are very good at making real wood (and leather for that matter) look like plastic. I'm too lazy to do anything about it but always thought that a satin finish may look better with either wood option. Mines black leather with burl, not got any pics to hand but the gear lever surround is mostly satin after 20+ years of wear & tear. I can take a pic of it if you want

Give it a cut and polish using products same as for body paint.
Can even flat sand with 2000 grit or even 1500 and polish it up with cutting compound and wax afterwards if you like = :):)

Think burlwood is out of the question - a little too rare and pricey. Looks good but i want the center console to be flawless, a small chip would irritate me, and it will be second hand.

I thought of painting it, but what colour would suit it?

I've debated trimming it in alcantara, but unsure if it would suit.

What about flat sanding and staining the original wood to make it darker? Then lacquer...

To stain the wood you would have to sand all the lacquer off and you would find that the wood is exceptionally thin, at which point you would then have to do the staining well and reapply it. Unless you are a highly capable veneerer it is unlikely to be a job you would do well, and you might even sand through the veneer.

The lacquer on Zebrano in early W124s goes milky and is mostly beyond revival (I'm still flatting a panel from an early car and making no real difference. Look for later Zebrano, it won't be darker but it will at least be decently shiny and with life.

To be honest, I have yet to see anyone other than real pros (for which read good amounts of money) make their interiors look better than original.

Think burlwood is out of the question - a little too rare and pricey. Looks good but i want the center console to be flawless, a small chip would irritate me, and it will be second hand.

I thought of painting it, but what colour would suit it?

I've debated trimming it in alcantara, but unsure if it would suit.

What about flat sanding and staining the original wood to make it darker? Then lacquer...

I've got quite a few v. good condition Burl walnut W124 console pieces. If you are interested let me know by PM with an email address & I'll send you pix of what I have.

The topmost panel can come in about a million different permutations do it may be that I do not have one with the 4 holes exactly like yours. You may be able to move the switches or have to add a dummy switch.

Let me know.

Just give it a polish it really will come up lovely!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom