W124 - dirt in the plastic cladding and wheelarches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
Simeon at Classic Car Project Shop (they look after my SM) did an advertorial on Facebook on what is involved with waxoyling a car featuring a W124. I loved this photo showing all the dirt and carp that came out from the wheel arches and body cladding before they even cleaned it!

1229835_579524022115258_83972237_n.jpg

OOps - I thought I was editing one not posting a new one. Mods, please delete one!

Derek , I see that was done maybe three years ago , are you going to pull some of the trim back off , maybe every five years , or every 10 years ? , to clean in behind before it gets the chance to build up again ?

I don't know how much of a task it is to remove the Sacco panels , sill covers etc , and what the risk of paintwork damage might be - or is the car now being pampered such that a build up of dirt in these places is now unlikley ?

I've a fair idea what lurks behind by taking off the jacking point covers.

The pressure jet washer will rmove the muck if done on a regular basis.

MB designed the moulding so that - in theory - any road dirt would simply wash out through the bottom rear channel. Of course, in practice, a build-up soon blocks the channel (I suppose like any other drainage channel) so, unless regularly attended to, deterioration will result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom