W124 E220 Overheating - Thermostat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That`s correct mate but do it once,I would not bother with the one on ebay

What do you recommend? ECP or get it from MB directly? Had a look on ECP and it's £55.

The funny thing is, how do I know whether ECP is not selling the same thing, but overpriced? lol

Got the coupling today, and going to replace it on the weekend.

Is there anything I should know? How do I remove the fan? All I can see is just the massive nut there, holding the fan blade in place?

Or it can be done without removing the fan? :O

Last edited:
Got the spanner. Simply undo the nut and that's it? Or there's something else holding it?

Then the coupling is held by 3 hex screws, right?

Got the spanner. Simply undo the nut and that's it? Or there's something else holding it?

Then the coupling is held by 3 hex screws, right?

Undo the nut remove the fan + coupling. undo the 3 allen head screws- remove plastic fan and mate it up to the new viscous coupling.

Where you may have difficulty in locking the water pump pulley to undo the nut [anticlockwise] A crude way is to lock it with vice grips to prevent it rotating- MB has a special shaped key that fits over the the water pump pulley allen screw heads

Last edited:
Undo the nut remove the fan + coupling. undo the 3 allen head screws- remove plastic fan and mate it up to the new viscous coupling.

Where you may have difficulty in locking the water pump pulley to undo the nut [anticlockwise] A crude way is to lock it with vice grips to prevent it rotating- MB has a special shaped key that fits over the the water pump pulley allen screw heads

How much is that special tool from MB? I struggled to undo the bloody nut, despite whatever I tried :confused: The water pump keeps going round, and I can't stop it, lol

How much is that special tool from MB? I struggled to undo the bloody nut, despite whatever I tried :confused: The water pump keeps going round, and I can't stop it, lol

TOO expensive - even if you can order it now . I made one from some 1/8" mild steel plate. Made a template from stiff card first [ breakfast cereal packet is ideal] then scribed the cut out shape from there. Used a drill of correct size for allen screw heads and jigsaw with a suitable metal blade for the rest.- make it with a long handle on it!

Attachments

• waterpumppulleytool2.JPG
    waterpumppulleytool2.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 55
TOO expensive - even if you can order it now . I made one from some 1/8" mild steel plate. Made a template from stiff card first [ breakfast cereal packet is ideal] then scribed the cut out shape from there. Used a drill of correct size for allen screw heads and jigsaw with a suitable metal blade for the rest.- make it with a long handle on it!

Eerhmmhm, thanks for the reply, but not sure if I can manage to make that...Don't have the tools or more importantly the skills :eek:

Any other options I have available?

Top tip here..
Get the spanner and give it a hard smack in the correct direction with a hammer,,it will come off no probs..

Top tip here..
Get the spanner and give it a hard smack in the correct direction with a hammer,,it will come off no probs..

Will give that a try, cheers :)

By the way, undoing is anti-clockwise, correct?

Or you can try a large chisel on the corner of the nut with a very firm wack with a hammer. This normally releases the tightest couplings.

Will give that a try, cheers :)

By the way, undoing is anti-clockwise, correct?

Standing at the front of the car, looking into the engine bay, you need to turn the spanner clockwise- it is a left hand thread.. tighten to slacken..

Have a look here.. Its for a 300D but the same setup
20 Cooling System - OM606

Mine have got a 13mm headed bolt in the centre of the fan, as they have the magnetic clutch.. doodle to change..

sounds like a fan problem the air flows through the rad when moving so the fan compensates for no air find out what sort of coolant fan poss viscoes ignore those pictures the are of a 102 engine you have a 111 engine

Thanks for the reply guys. Will try again this weekend, hopefully with better luck ;)

I had cooling problems with my 200E when I first got it. Didn't ever actually overheat, but always ran warmer that I was happy with, although never saw the gauge over 100. Fan cut in at the correct temp, and would cool the car, albeit slowly. Putting the heater on also brought the temperature down. I replaced the water pump due to a small leak, but this made no difference to the temp. I flushed the system for a good while ( which worked wonders on my 190D-the heater is RED hot now) but this made no difference either.I then noticed a very small weep on the radiator, and got a good used one for it..now the car runs just under 80... Time for a new thermostat I think!

The 190D runs at 85 no matter what.. +28 degrees.. - 15 degrees, doesn't matter, always runs at 85, and heat from the heater within half a mile! Perfect!

Tiff, your "hammer bang" method worked :D I was almost losing my hope, but it eventually came off. Thanks.

Replaced the coupling, and the fan started spinning quite fast...I can't stop it with my finger anymore, lol

The temperature so far is all good. After some driving in traffic, it seems to stay around 85-90 mark.

I believe that's correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom