W124 E220 Rear headrests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sukipuss

Car
Mercedes C200/W202
I need help please.....The rear headrests on my E220 lock upright ok but as soon as the engine is started they both return to the stowage position. I have checked the "stow" s/w on the facia and that is just fine. What I need is some info on the system....I understand it is a vacuum operated system but is there a valve in that system that could be "frozen" in the stow position..? The Haynes manual shows nothing can some kind person advise please, thankyou

Remove the bottom half of the rear seat, if I remember correctly the valve is on the left hand side, a small square valve with 3 or 4 vacuum pipes.

Thanks and yes you are correct there are 3 pipes , one incoming from engine and two going off to the rear head rests... What I didn't expect was all the water lying in that area..!!! think there is a leak from the aerial location. The plug at the valve was corroded..cleaned , refitted and , yes the head rests stay up and, oh dear , they wont retract..! Could be one of two things...s/w on facia or that dam valve but I do not have a wiring diagram...watch this space for the next episode.....

My money is still on the valve, but have a look if one or more of the pipes didn't crack when you took them off. Or may have pulled out the connection under the headrest

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom