W124 E280 E320 wiring loom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gasgas4

Car
W124 E280 x 2
Based on the number of problems relating to the degrading engine loom on the W124 E280 & E320 models and the cost of a genuine replacement does any know if there is pattern part available or if not, why not.

Judging by the number posts relating to this problem & the number of possible cars that need a new loom, I'm beginnging to wonder whether it's viable to look into making a pattern part, It can't be that difficult!!

Personally I can't justify spending £500+ on a genuine part but I'd be willing to pay a couple of hundred for a good quality pattern part. Surely someone has already done this?

No pattern part altho some people have rebuilt their own. Its extremely labour intensive and the market volume doesn't justify mass production. You can defray labour costs by doing a DIY replacement that's about it sorry.

The looms do differ slightly so you must be able to quote the chassis number. Here's an article which shows where to find the number on the loom. Forget ordering from OZ they quote double the European price! Australia's leading Mercedes-Benz website
You could try these guys but currency changes might wipe out any price advantage buying in Germany.Speed Autoteile Most aftermarket suppliers don't carry looms its pretty much a dealer only sourced item but worth asking?

Many of the Specific plugs and sockets on the loom are heat sealed or injection moulded to the original loom and are unobtainable from Merc. They have to be carefully cut off to be re-used. This makes one-off possible but not volume production.

wiringloom014.jpg

slecu.jpg

wiringloom012.jpg

Another thought!

If your car has cruise, or not, or ESP, ASR, PDQ, DHL (or not) etc, etc, then the loom will be different from one that doesn't. The range and variation is almost endless. It wouldn't be viable for a low volume producer to manufacture all the variants.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom