W124 E320 disable Airbags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonyhtb

Car
W124 E320 ESTATE
Hi there considering one of these but would need to do this if one of the kids was in the front passenger seat can it be done??

Hi there considering one of these but would need to do this if one of the kids was in the front passenger seat can it be done??

Not sure that there is an Airbag over ride switch on the W124's well at least not in my one, it has both Passenger and driver's airbag. I always put my little one's baby seat in the back.

K

Not sure that there is an Airbag over ride switch on the W124's well at least not in my one, it has both Passenger and driver's airbag. I always put my little one's baby seat in the back.

K

Hi

There is no override switch in a W124.

You could either get an early (pre-1993ish) one without the passenger airbag option (it was standard on the later cars)....

or put the kids in the back, which i have done.

Remember its only rear facing seats that must not be used with an airbag. front booster seats are ok, but set the seat as far back (away from airbag) as possible.

What you could also look into is removing the airbag and fitting a glovebox in the space.... i looked at doing this and it would be relatively easy, but you would need to also replace the airbag ecu i believe to be able to use the rest of the airbags/seatbelt pretentioners in the car. of course you could also just disconnect the power from the back of the airbag but its up to you if you wanted to leave it in situ. Again, the rest woudlnt work either once the airbag light is on.

If you havnt already got the car, try and just get one without the passenger airbag. some argue the earlier cars were better built anyway, unless of course you must have the later engine. On a side note, check out the info on wiring looms on those engines as i believe the one you're looking at will suffer from the problem.

Finally, welcome to the forum! Please stick around and post up some pics and info on the car when you get it. also feel free to ask any futher questions - plenty of W124 guys on here.

Last edited:

I think there is a note in the owners handbook saying that anybody under 5' shouldn't travel in the front if the passenger airbag is fitted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom