W124 estate - washer leaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RKC-benz

Car
S124 E280 Est (Storm Trooper variant), R129 SL320, Hiace campervan
Hi

I'm after a bit of help sourcing a new leak. My rear wash wipe on S124 estate car has stopped pumping water onto the rear screen... It's now running out the side of the tailgate (by the hinge).

Does anyone know if there is a join in the system there or is it more likely a split pipe between the reservoir and the water outlet above the rear screen?

And how do you get in there to replace and fix?

Thanks in advance to those in the know.

I bet the pipe has split / cracked where it bends round the hinge of the tailgate-it gets brittle with age. It is possible to repair by putting a joiner piece in. I have to say that I tried to fix mine but found it tricky so gave it to my garage. what I didn't know is that there is a non return valve in line on the pipe which prevents you being able to pull enough pipe through to affect a repair unless you free this-that is why I failed to diy. Armed with that I hope you have more success than I did. You need to remove the panel at the top of the tailgate and the panel in the rear roof to access. Good luck!

I have had the tailgate gas struts replaced quite recently. Maybe it started to crack when they were in fiddling about then...

You make it sound like a job for the experienced...! I am feeling discouraged!

All it takes is time. Lots of it. Total PITA but the sun is shining so hey, give it a go. If you get fed up trying to fix it. Leave it stripped down and let your Indie get on with it. He will be grateful you have it stripped down and it will cost less that way too.

Good Luck.

I have had the tailgate gas struts replaced quite recently. Maybe it started to crack when they were in fiddling about then...

You make it sound like a job for the experienced...! I am feeling discouraged!

I've replaced struts myself and wouldn't leap to the conclusion that the pipe would have been disturbed much in the process, I don't remember much fiddling around there... go easy on 'they' unless you find further evidence of fault I'd say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom