W124 facelift bonnet swap - must change lenses, too!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isobars

Car
300SD'79, E300TD '95, 300TDT '82, 280CE '84, 250L '84, 300SEL LPG '91, 300D '80, 300CE '91, 300E '89
Hi All,

I've just swapped my '91 bonnet on a coupe to a '94 shape from an estate.

Two things. Firstly, the estate washer bottle is on the other side and feeds from the other side - the coupe has a complicated water junction. Pipe lengthening soon. Secondly the light lenses are shaped to accommodate the newer bonnet nose.

Does anyone know if the lenses are interchangeable, or do I need new lights? It's honking down outside and I've turned to drink for the afternoon.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi,

Thanks, thankfully I just stopped short of a good slam.

Swapping them with another car now - moving the problem on, but at least I know it's a lens thing. Hard to find on their own, I might just get the whole thing.

Cheers,

Paul

I asked here at a Dealer what one of those lenses on their own would cost, 350 pounds!
Be interesting to see how much they want for one in the UK...?

Warm the tabs holding the glasses in and use a gentle wedge to ease them up. They get fragile with age. The under lamp panels are a slightly different shape as well.

Hi,

Thanks, just done the first one with the aid of a paint/wallpaper scraper to get an even lift.
Need to remove the wiper/washer as well to get it off.

Cheers,

Paul

The small metal panels between the headlights and the bumper where the headlight washer lives are also different on the facelift cars.

Ah, that's bad, but if I just swap lenses then it won't matter?

Got as far as removing all four and clicking one back in before it started to chuck some rain, currently enjoying bottled solace.

These cars always give a little more than you expect. I've just removed the rubber gaskets from the washer lenses; what a work of art, still like new after 25+ years, five or so different rubber teeth/clips which are still flexible and fit perfectly. Sublime.

Cheers,

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom