W124 front drop links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Friends

I have a broken front N/S ARB drop link. Can anybody advise if this is a generic pre facelift part or is it specific to a 4-Matic?

Car is a 300te 4-Matic Estate 1987.

{
AVAudioRouteName = Speaker;
IsPreferredExternalRoute = 0;
PortNumber = 141;
"PreferredExternalRouteDetails_IsActive" = 0;
RouteCurrentlyPicked = 1;
RouteName = Speaker;
RouteSupportsAudio = 1;
RouteType = Default;
RouteUID = Speaker;
}

Looked on the EPC for a pre-89 4 matic and the part number is A1243230326 for the right and A1243230226 for the left (described as a clamp).

For a pre-facelift W124 300 estate (and a post facelift E320) that part no is A1243230426 for the left and A1243230526 for the right.

So different between the 4 matic and standard.

But the same price at Mercedes!

Charles Morgan said:
Looked on the EPC for a pre-89 4 matic and the part number is A1243230326 for the right and A1243230226 for the left (described as a clamp). For a pre-facelift W124 300 estate (and a post facelift E320) that part no is A1243230426 for the left and A1243230526 for the right. So different between the 4 matic and standard. But the same price at Mercedes!

Charles.

Thank you. For clarity. By left are you referring to N/S ?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

You'll need to ask Mercedes that - I'm quoting the EPC so I can give you no more clarity.

FYI EPC refers to all Mercedes parts from sitting in the driver's seat.

Eg- a LH part would be nearside on UK Roads.

JC220 said:
FYI EPC refers to all Mercedes parts from sitting in the driver's seat. Eg- a LH part would be nearside on UK Roads.

So it's the left hand (EPC) part that I want. A1243230226

Thank you all for the great replies.

Hmmm

A1243230226 N/S Chassis Clamp

Special order from Germany £14.95. I will not get this until next Wednesday/Thursday. I have ordered up the bushes as well. They were recently replaced, I figure, as It will be in bits, I may as well do it again.

Thank you for all of your help.

Put new ARB bushes on it like you say Bruce then let us hear what difference that makes...

Put new ARB bushes on it like you say Bruce then let us hear what difference that makes...

Dependent on your current bush condition? They do make a very big difference to both handling and noise (clonking). The biggest difference I made - by far - was to replace the steering damper, a cheap and quick fix that made an immediate and positive difference to my spongy and loose steering.

Never having a driven brand new 124 Wagon, it is difficult for me to be too smart on this. The 124 is certainly not barge like, rather "comfortable" when the bushes get loose it gets clonky and a bit more wobbly than it should.

Mine is 30 years old now. The main suspension is re-built as is the engine and gearbox mounts (which make a big difference).

I have heard it said that fitting a Sportline ARB is a good thing for handling? I can't comment on that and I should also say that my old girl is driven as an "old girl" no pushing any limits - unless the brakes fail ;^)

I welded mine. Lasted for two years until i sold the car.

I welded mine. Lasted for two years until i sold the car.

Cheers Derek.

I had contemplated just setting fire to the car. These things are set to try us for sure. Welding would have been an option but at £19 for a new one, I suspect that this is about the same as a weld would cost me?

Also it does force me to replace the bushes, which is not a bad thing.

I just need to be able to do this without breaking anything else. We are preparing for Benz on the Green so a week of no failures would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom