W124 heating issue - not blowing to windscreen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
A puzzler. My W124 estate produces heat very nicely and the air con works. But when on defrost there is no airflow to the upper vents to clear the screen at any fan speed. Any suggestions for the likely fault and best way to sort it? It's a pain in winter.

Edit - the heater control panel has been changed, no difference.

Last edited:
Oh dear. I feel for you Charles. Mine has had the dash out 4 times to fix this! The cables for some reason break off the connectors to the flaps themselves. Cant understand why its happened repeatedly. Its had 4 new sets of cables and a new control panel but each time it was a temporary fix. After the last time I have left the direction controller set to give air to all the vents and turn off the dash vents individually when needing extra screen air. Not perfect but it does clear the screen and it still keeps it cool in the Tuscan summer heat

Sounds expensive!

The parts are cheap. Around £30 for a full set of cables. Fortunately I only paid for it once. The subsequent failures all occurred within the 2 year repair warranty time. No one has been able to explain why it kept happening. Nothing snagging cables. Flaps move freely. Should it happen again I am going to have the screen flaps sealed permanently open. Even when the screen did not work the direction control worked as normal for the footwell and dash vents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom