w124 How to run a wire behind the center dashboard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
People

I wish to fit a Becker Sat Nav Antenna to my old W124. The best location would be the center of the dashboard, directly behind the windscreen? I'm happy to be corrected here?

Can somebody advise the best (simplest) way to get the wire from the top of the dash to the back of the head unit, without dismantling the entire dashboard. It's a very thin wire with a small bullet plug on the radio end and the antenna (square block) on the other.

I just don't really fancy pulling everything apart if that can be avoided (lazy) but also don't really want wires draped down the outside of the dashboard (If possible).

Thank you.

Bruce

Not hard doing that Bruce,I'll explain tomorrow

Thank you Dash. I'm trying to get it in today for the drive down tomorrow ;^). I'm also cleaning up a couple of bits today in readiness for tomorrow.

Thank you Dash. I'm trying to get it in today for the drive down tomorrow ;^). I'm also cleaning up a couple of bits today in readiness for tomorrow.

I see :thumb: Run it behind the mirror through the back of the sun visors and down the pillar
Easy enough to do but a little time consuming

You need a trained mouse - tie a bit of string to his tail, put him in where you want the wire to originate and wave a piece of cheese around where you want the wire to exit. Works every time. :D

The last three cars I have had, it is pretty easy jist to push the wire up behing the headlining/A pillar with a lolly stick. You then have to get it behind the dash - I've done that by either taking out the speaker grille or pushing the wire into the gap between dash and A pillar.
From there, behind the glovebox to where you want it.

Expect some grazed knuckles on this bit...

Otherwise as per Gordon, the trained mouse. Works every time. I find a bit of Camembert or Gruyere works every time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom