W124 Illuminated Sun Visors fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
Mercedes E280 Estate W124
Hi,

Has anyone fitted these to their W124? Any tips or advice would be great. I have the visors, clips and wiring.

Thanks

Amer

I would be interested to know... It's an upgrade I would like...

If you have the proper MB wiring loom it's a very simple process.

The wiring plugs into the dome light, so there is no soldering to do.

The dome light removed by gently pushing it towards the drivers side which compresses the retaining spring clip. So can then just drop it down and disconnect the existing wiring.

If you open the sunroof there is a stainless steel trim on the front edge that needs to be removed. There is a row of screws fixing this in place.

Then you have enough access to fit the loom.

Fitting the visors and clips is very simple, just be careful when prying up the screw reveal on the clips as they be a bit flimsy.

I'm sure I've missed a few steps as it's been a couple of years since I fitted mine, but it's not difficult and is unlikely to cause you any problems.

The whole process will probably take less than an hour.

millo777 said:
If you have the proper MB wiring loom it's a very simple process. The wiring plugs into the dome light, so there is no soldering to do. The dome light removed by gently pushing it towards the drivers side which compresses the retaining spring clip. So can then just drop it down and disconnect the existing wiring. If you open the sunroof there is a stainless steel trim on the front edge that needs to be removed. There is a row of screws fixing this in place. Then you have enough access to fit the loom. Fitting the visors and clips is very simple, just be careful when prying up the screw reveal on the clips as they be a bit flimsy. I'm sure I've missed a few steps as it's been a couple of years since I fitted mine, but it's not difficult and is unlikely to cause you any problems. The whole process will probably take less than an hour.

Succinct and helpful. Thanks. Now I want to find a set like the OP... I don't suppose you know if the auto dipping mirror is equally easy to deploy...

Auto dim mirror is even easier to fit. It also takes power from the dome light via a plug fitting. The biggest pita with this one is physically getting the mirror popped into it's fitting. Try taking your current mirror out and re-fitting it and you'll see what I mean!

btw, there is someone selling the auto dim mirrors on ebay for £35. I don't think they're original w124 stock, but aftermarket units rehoused in used original w124 units.

Also worth bearing in mind, that they don't make any difference if you have a tinted rear screen.

my green W124 had illumated mirrors from the factory.

the silver W124 i retrofitted them. As above, they just wire to the dome and can be done with just removing the mirrors and dome panel which is good. If you get the loom with the visors then one plug will simply plug in. the other you can simply connect up to one of the existing plugs i think (from memory). Very easy to fit anyhow. The clips are actually cheap too from the dealer if you require new ones due to worn/damaged.

Hi Millo777,

I got the whole lot, visors, clips, wiring after a member pointed me to a link on ebay (USA) and I had already purchased new clips from MB anyway so will attempt this, thank you very much.

Amer

Hi Silversaloon,

Thank you for the info.

Amer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom