W124 Jenhert Front Door Pods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wish I'd had one of those for a w126's front doors. The factory sound in those cars was aways useless to me.

Nick Froome (Bolide) of W124 built front door speakers for my W124 estate, with tweeters in the sail panels and a sub-woofer in the spare wheel at the rear. The latter was a weak point, but the door speakers were mounted, via a wooden ring, onto a solid metal panel behind the door car screwed into the door. Much dynamat was used, and the speaker grille came through the map pocket IIRC.

It looked very good and sounded great. The fabrication took a fair bit of time and that costs. He only did the one set and won't do another!

Here's a detailed thread on how one 190 owner did it. Obviously not quite the same as a W124 but construction principles would be similar. A couple of things to note ---the door inner steel panel cutouts may differ in later models with some provison for bass/midrange speakers fitted in some US market models. Some people favour Speakers towards the front of the door as further back they will be firing into the sides of the seats/passengers rather than free air. Against this a front mounted speaker might be more prone to kick damage from feet on vehicle entry / exit. Also some anecdotal evidence of audio interference with any dash mounted speakers. That said car interiors are generally not most audio friendly of places acoustically speaking.:dk:
how to make the front doors speaker podiums

While the front of the door makes more sense from a speaker placement POV that's where the the leccy window motor lives on 124s. If you haven't got leccy windows so can cut a hole in the inner door skin it's still not a great idea as it's right by a hinge and check strap where the door ideally wants as much stiffness as possible i.e. that location means weakening the door or bugger all volume for a speaker enclosure

Dunno about really early models but a '93 124 already has a hole in the right place (back of the door pocket under the armrest) of the inner door skin and with a bit of care you don't even need get the door pocket recovered whether using generic speaker grilles or making something nicer for a more professional/invisible instal

Price aside one thing that's always put me off the Jenhert stuff is the way they've crammed a tweeter and mid range driver into the standard dash hole... tweeters in the sail panels/mirror trim piece like Bolide did for Charles makes more sense to me

If you are interested in learning more on W124 audio, I have the jehnert door pods with two 6.5" Audison Voce mid/bass units each side. They run 50hz to around 4000hz and then hand over to more Audison Voce under the original location on the dash; a 3.5" and 1" ... custom sub somewhere else. Dynamatted front of the car. Bit One, JL Audio amplification. Nice head unit- all sounds remarkable to be honest.

This is installed in an E280 S124 estate and it took months and months to settle on. Totally worth it as the car is a keeper for me.

grober said:
Here's a detailed thread on how one 190 owner did it. Obviously not quite the same as a W124 but construction principles would be similar. A couple of things to note ---the door inner steel panel cutouts may differ in later models with some provison for bass/midrange speakers fitted in some US market models. Some people favour Speakers towards the front of the door as further back they will be firing into the sides of the seats/passengers rather than free air. Against this a front mounted speaker might be more prone to kick damage from feet on vehicle entry / exit. Also some anecdotal evidence of audio interference with any dash mounted speakers. That said car interiors are generally not most audio friendly of places acoustically speaking.:dk: how to make the front doors speaker podiums

I would like be to play mine to you one day. It's a delight.

SEVEN HUNDRED quid!

Maybe ignorance on my behalf but it makes absolutely no sense to me, W124 fanboy that I am.

SEVEN HUNDRED quid!

Maybe ignorance on my behalf but it makes absolutely no sense to me, W124 fanboy that I am.

Just so you know,these were sold this weekend

probably worth the price when you consider the speakers used, and the door panels are very good quality.
how much are good door panels for a w124? i know, from personal experience, that good w201 door panels are very difficult to aquire.

The Jehnert cards were more like £500 without speakers as a point of info. They look 100% stock, installation can be totally reversed if you want, and they have a very good resale value... not as terrible value as all that.

And they are absolutely rigid as a platform for mounting drivers. Mine take two per side, the cabriolet version and the coupe versions I guess, are designed for three 6.5" drivers per side. This to compensate for the open roof.

While the front of the door makes more sense from a speaker placement POV that's where the the leccy window motor lives on 124s. If you haven't got leccy windows so can cut a hole in the inner door skin it's still not a great idea as it's right by a hinge and check strap where the door ideally wants as much stiffness as possible i.e. that location means weakening the door or bugger all volume for a speaker enclosure

Dunno about really early models but a '93 124 already has a hole in the right place (back of the door pocket under the armrest) of the inner door skin and with a bit of care you don't even need get the door pocket recovered whether using generic speaker grilles or making something nicer for a more professional/invisible instal

Exactly how Nick did mine now I remember. A really good set of mid-range Dynaudio speakers and similar quality tweeters gave quite glorious sound from Becker connected via a Genesis amp and a whole load of crossovers.

I had a set of custom door builds made. I was running 3 way Focal Utopia's off a JL 300/2 amp. I did away with the speakers on the rear shelf, to act as ports for the sub. The sub was a JL 13w7, off a 1000/1 amp. A balanced, loud, clear sounding system.

Attachments

• image-855042077.jpg
    image-855042077.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 30
So what does the clan think of my ones

shop103.jpg

shop101.jpg

So what does the clan think of my ones

Nice :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom