w124 Leaky sunroof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

michaelk3289

Car
2007 W211 E280 CDI Avantgarde
Hi there

i have noticed my car steams up more than it used to (ive always had some water in front pax footwell under carpets (small but wet)) i think this is from the front screen. i have checked the rear cargo windows as i have been told these are prone to leaks, they seem fine.

the other day i notice a small drop of whater from the drivers side front corner of the sunroof, i have checked as well as i can the drain points on it they seem fine, how can i check???

Kind regards

Michael

Michael

The only way to check for a water leak is with water.

Use a strong hose spray all around the joint of the sunroof.
It should show any leaks.

If leaking, possibly an adjustment or worse case replace the seal.

Same test for the windscreen...

Water will always find it's way if the seal has broken down :thumb:

Ed A.

You'll need some curtain wire to check the front sunroof drains, and also the drains under the bonnet hinges. Use the curtain wire to reem out the drain, then you can pur water into it and check it flows freely.

For ref the front sunroof drains exit in the front door shuts just belwo the a pillar, so you'll need the front door open to check the curtain wire goes all the way through.

The rear sunroof drains run inside the C pillars, but I can't find where they exit, which is daft i know, but it isn't obvious even from under the car.

With the rear cargo windows you'll have to remove the carpet trim that goes over the wheel arch to check if they are leaking. It's the bottom corner nearest the C pillar where the water leaks in, and is totally invisible without removing the interior trim.

I found a product called "Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure" at a local yacht chandlers which seems to have cured the leak on mine. It's basically the same product as Coma "Seek and Seal" which is no longer available.

I would also recommend you try and lift the carpet in the rear foot wells as there is also some foam under there and a fair bit a water can be found sloshing around back there helping mould grow. I'm trying to take the seats out of mine to dry it out, which is a whole other problem....

ive just spent all morning cleaning the interior and i must say it looks great, i even lifted the carpets in the foot well (foam backed ones) and looked for leaks or water

i must say i was quite pleased really fairly dry underneath, foam was a little damp on drivers side but i think this might be because there was a rubber bung/plug that had come loose and i could see the ground through the hole! its about the size of a 10 pence (roughly) plug was just next to hole so thats gone back in and and fits nice and tight with a good seal.

i will have to check the drains tomoz now i have spent all morning doing this i better get on with my other jobs!!!

better get going to to post office then!!!!

thanks again for help

Like you I have found the sunroof drains in the C-pillar. They are quite substantial black rubber tubes. As far as I can tell they seem to stop just by the drain holes by the jack and spare wheel. Have to agree its not at all obvious.

Just had another look. The rubber pipe exits the body just by the jack on the drivers side. Similar spot on the passenger side and the water drains under the plastic rear side panel/bumper. Fortunately ours drain freely.

Little watering can and pour it into the gutters around the roof. So far 4 nice little puddles on the floor where the drains exit.
The ones on the bulkhead are even more important though. Make sure those are clear. Where ours lives most of the year in Italy all sorts of rubbish, tree seeds get in them. It was so bad I ended up buying a tailor made cover just to stop this happening over the spring/summer.
I have been looking for a garage locally in Italy but the idea that someone might want to put a car in a garage seems to amuse the locals a lot. They just think crazy foreigners.

ok so the first thing i did this morning was start looking for the drains!!!

i removed the carpet from wheel arches and side panels where first aid and spare wheel are

i found 2 tubes down each side but could not find exit on car, (seems to exit the car behind the rear bumperon either side

i still cant find the rear drains at the top (sunroof section) however i have pushed a coat hanger down both front drains and there seems to be gunk inside, however i ran out of length with my coat hanger, i then tried to clean from the bottom of the drain but didnt have too much luck, not even sure if one side is connected up.

although i didnt have too much with drains i did finaly get my 7th seat belt in, so im very happy about that

thanks for comments keep em coming

A very carefully place jet from the hosepipe may help. Would not use the pressure washer though :eek:

Be careful using a wire coat hanger as the sunroof drains are rubber hoses running isndie the A pillars and a coat hanger could easily puncture the hose which would create untold trouble.

curtain wire is about £3 a metre at B&Q and is rigid enough to do the job but less likely to do any damage. Speedo cable or bike brake cable is also good.

The drains under the bonnet hinges are the ones that seem to get most easily blocked, but are easy to deal with.

I'm going to try gently tipping water down the sunroof rails to check for a blockage on mine as I'm way too lazy to remove the rear bumper to check to see if they're blocked.

If you can, I'd recomend moving the carpet over the wheel arch to check for water ingress at the bottom corner of the cargo windows as that seems to be the classic place for these cars to leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom