W124 paint codes - are Halfords cans OK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quenching

Car
'84 W201 2.0E, '91 W124 230TE estate
I need to paint the horizontal section of the bumper on my 94 E220 estate. The paint code on the engine plate is 744 which is Brilliant silver. Halfords sell a spray can of Mercedes Brilliant Silver, is this any good or best avoided?

I don't think my car is two tone (don't laugh!), its difficult to tell with silver, but the colour matching site lists 744/9744 as a single colour paint code - is the 9744 part for the plastic trim panels etc and if so whats the difference?

I presume I need to fill, sand, grey primer, then paint, then lacquer?

DSC06522.JPG

I use Halfords 744 on mine, yes its ok. Not so keen on their lacquer, tends to make the silver look yellowish so i dont use it.

HALFORDS brilliant silver is a good match for the body paint. However the bumper and lower body trim is Atlas Grey (matt) Metallic Clearcoat 7181 I think you will only get it from MB as a twin pack aerosol . Some paint shops will mix up a custom colour for you and put it in an aerosol can

Last edited:
Thanks again grober, a mine of useful info as always. I have to get some wheel bolts from MB anyway so might as well get the proper paint also.

Halfords Paint

I bought a can of that halfords stuff for my beryl blue w126, a complete waste of money imho,the colour match is awful, so I`m going to bite the bullet and get the genuine stuff from the main stealer.:wallbash::wallbash:

I bought a can of that halfords stuff for my beryl blue w126, a complete waste of money imho,the colour match is awful, so I`m going to bite the bullet and get the genuine stuff from the main stealer.:wallbash::wallbash:

Every colour is different- the Halford's Brilliant silver was a good match for my car but other colours might be different. Hope the MB paint is a good match for you but not guaranteed either in my experience. There are some good paint suppliers who will match and make up a custom aerosol for you if you want.

HALFORDS brilliant silver is a good match for the body paint. However the bumper and lower body trim is Atlas Grey (matt) Metallic Clearcoat 7181 I think you will only get it from MB as a twin pack aerosol . Some paint shops will mix up a custom colour for you and put it in an aerosol can

Well my local dealer is being less than helpful, 6 weeks for paint IF they can get it, they just weren't interested, couldn't even find the paint code! Oh, and £40 for an aerosol can.

So I'm going to get some mixed at the supplier suggested by Silversaloon. However, I'm still not sure what I need to get, is "Atlas Grey (matt) Metallic Clearcoat 7181" a matt finish paint followed by a lacquer, or a metallic paint followed by a lacquer? I've also found it listed as DB7181, is this also correct?

EDIT: found the answer at Sorry Pete's suggested supplier above, DB7181-=DB 181 ATLAS GREY MATT. Full kit of primer, lacquer, paint, wet/dry paper, and rubbing compound for £24.

Last edited:
I`ve just repaired some surface bubbles on my W126 front wings, got a complete base coat kit from paints4u.com, the colour was matched by the reg number,have to say that I am very impressed, and a bargain at £23.99 delivered, heres the result.:thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 116
Quality work amigo. I plan to do the same with my W202 arches as the Cancer is getting omnipresent and it shows like a biatch on white paint!

Supa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom