w124 rear hubs - advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB-tex

Car
1996 E280 estate.
Hi All

About to begin swapping out rear subframe on '96 e280 estate. I am looking to buy a couple of used rear hubs to clean up and attach to the new frame. Are rear hubs standard across the years/range or do I need to buy a specific hub for my car/year? I have seen a good one on ebay from a '92 car. Will it fit?

Also anyone got knowledge of wether its worth the extra cost of getting oem mercedes subframe/dif bushes? Will get Lemforder arms but am tempted to go original on the bushes despite the extra cost (I am on a tight budget!).

Any advice gladly accepted.

Tom

How bad are the existing hubs?

A good wire brush and some Hammerite will go along way to making these look new again. You could go for the full monty and have them powder coated by use of some well positioned masking tape.

Thanks Bruce

The new ones are really to save costs in re-installation. I am making up the new frame and getting my mechanic to fix it back on. He said if I got a couple of hubs it would save labour costs in fitting the complete subframe. Made sense when he said it.

The job really needs doing now. Rear end has a massive sway on it. Have bought new front shocks/mounts too so the whole suspension will be new.

I take it you know you have self leveling suspension on the rear of W124 estates ? IIRC the estates also had bigger rear hub bearing assemblies so the hubs/drive shafts may be different from saloons/coupes??

Thanks Grober

Yes, done some work on the self levelling over the years. But didn't know about bigger rear hub assemblies on estates. Will a 92 300T rear hub fit on my 96 280 estate?

And anyone fitted non merc subframe bushes and regretted it?? I have got to get on with this job. I will be ordering all the parts once the subframe arrives this week. The mounts both need welding too (one for the second time) and its my daily driver. The MOT expires in early July and I have a 2000 mile long road trip in August with family on board. I like a project and it should (I hope) all be worth it when I drive it with all that lovely new suspension. Doesn't make much sense really on a car with 250000 miles but I've started now...

I believe all the estates will share the same hub/bearing assembly but can't guarantee it sorry The saloons ' rear hubs have different part nos to the estates. You best bet is to refurbish the existing ones. Merc used to supply repair kits including new bearings. Most folks recommend removing the hub assembly and remove/press in the new bearing on the bench.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom