W124 rear sub frame uprate and refurb questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maxypriest

Car
W124 Superturbodiesel and a 1952 John Deere G. Lots of old bikes too.
With 105k miles and 27 years under her belt 460ft/lbs is beginning to show the failings of the old rear end – she needs a refurb.

I have got myself another sub-frame so the plan is to beef that up and fit new arms and LCA bushes. While it’s off I’ll fit some larger E280 brakes a 210mm 2.65 R129 diff with its big wing rear cover to help with the torque reaction. Then the plan is just to swap the sub-frames over. How easily that lot rolls of the tongue…

Anyway – the question is that car is fitted with the Sportline chassis option. Subframe bushes – are there uprated versions that can fit, or is it a case of just getting the OE Merc ones from a stealer (some people fit R129 versions?!)? Also the arms – Meyle, Lemforder or OE merc? There is a huge difference in price.

Thoughts/experience?

Cheers - Max

Check out the Meyle catalogue online. From memory I think they offer a HD (Heavy Duty) version. Usually denoted by yellow circle with HD on it.

Thanks for that – had a good look unfortunately the HD stuff does not include the rear links, however the front strut mounts are.

Nice.

If I'm not mistaken, the rear linkages are the same across much of the Mercedes range at that time, from 201/202s through 124/210s up to the 129.

May be a good idea to have a look at the more powerful 129s to see what structural mods were done to their subframe.

Also see if the bushes/bolts will fit yours...?

May be a good idea to have a look at the more powerful 129s to see what structural mods were done to their subframe.

Also see if the bushes/bolts will fit yours...?

Yes, I have already had a look what Merc did with the 400/500 w124's - their sub frames are strengthened in the area where mine needs it, in fact the front section is tubular. I'll box mine in to replicate.

Yes, I have already had a look what Merc did with the 400/500 w124's - their sub frames are strengthened in the area where mine needs it, in fact the front section is tubular. I'll box mine in to replicate.

What has been done previously and I'll be doing to my C-Class when I drop out the s/frame, is to use rebar (10-13mm) welded as a cross brace on each side. If I can find a photo I'll post it up.

Since Meyle don't do HD rear arms, I'd just buy a set Lemforder arms and polybush the lower spring arm at each end.

What has been done previously and I'll be doing to my C-Class when I drop out the s/frame, is to use rebar (10-13mm) welded as a cross brace on each side. If I can find a photo I'll post it up.

Since Meyle don't do HD rear arms, I'd just buy a set Lemforder arms and polybush the lower spring arm at each end.

Very interested in that - please add a pic. Interestingly the lemforder / poly bush setup is exactly what I'm considering at the moment. There is a company in Poland who do the poly bushes at a reasonable cost and available in 2 compounds.

... also toying with Bilstein B8's all round - standard sport line springs...

Polybush if you can is my advice to promote better handling, sure you'll lose some comfort. But all depends on what your priorities are. Also, consider partially using poly. I can't comment on the B8's as I've only used B6's (or Koni's) with either Eibach's or H&R's.

Here's photo of what I mentioned earlier. It gives you an idea anyway even if I would probably add another two braces further back @ 45 degrees. You can see too that some sections were rewelded, makes sense with the s/frame out.

Attachments

• rear Subframe mod.jpg
    rear Subframe mod.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 61
Super thanks. How were the B6's?

Super thanks. How were the B6's?

You're welcome.

I used B6's three times now and I found them to be excellent, they were always used in conjunction with uprated and lower springs, usually max 35 mm. If you are going lower the B8's would be more suitable I'd guess, you'll need to check that out.

I recall on one car removing only year old B4's and fitting the 6's, there was a marked difference. After that I never bought B4's again.

Also consider Koni Yellow Adjustables (off car), these are usually more expensive but shopping around you could find a deal on either brands. eBay.de is where to start, when searching use the brand name and part number for ease.

Last edited:
Love the STD!
You'll know this..dropping the sub frame means re-do brake pipes, more easily.

Anyway – the question is that car is fitted with the Sportline chassis option. Subframe bushes – are there uprated versions that can fit, or is it a case of just getting the OE Merc ones from a stealer (some people fit R129 versions?!)? Also the arms – Meyle, Lemforder or OE merc? There is a huge difference in price.

Thoughts/experience?

Cheers - Max

I've just bought a heap of parts for my 300CE-24 Sportline underside refurbishment. There are some specific Sportline parts for the rear sub-frame and they were discussed here:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/part...-300ce-24-sportline-rear-subframe-bushes.html

I finally bought:
A2023510942 Rubber mounting 2 off
A2029900504 Bolt 2 off
A2023520046 Stop Plate 2 off

... but I do not yet know whether they will be fit.

Regarding the rear control arms, they are not Sportline-specific. I bought a complete Lemfoerder 33500 01 kit. It appears to be available here:
https://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/1271748

Hope that's of some use. I can give you other part numbers if you do not have access to the EPC.

Regarding dampers, I went for the original equipment Sachs (115 070/106 879 Front/Rear).

RayH
PS: The misery comes with the front lower control arms. Only MB is any use and they're over €500 each!!!

Love the STD!
You'll know this..dropping the sub frame means re-do brake pipes, more easily.

Thanks! She is a good old bus if a bit wayward under hard acceleration - hence the planned upgrades. Got 174mph out of her at RAF Woodbridge last year (only 12mph slower than a Lamborghini[FONT=&quot] Aventador). Not bad considering I was on the fuel governor for the last 1/3 a mile (hence the change to a 2.65 diff).[/FONT]

Yes - while the frame is off ill be waxoyling, redoing the brake pipes and I'll also fit a 500E ARB I have in the back of the workshop... :)[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Any photos?

Personally I would have no problem buying any of the above supplier stuff if it's materially cheaper than MB. I found immense prices differences on my W114 build, I doubted the need to rebuild to original standard as I doubted the car would last another 45 years! (I certainly won't!).

I've just bought a heap of parts for my 300CE-24 Sportline underside refurbishment. There are some specific Sportline parts for the rear sub-frame and they were discussed here:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/part...-300ce-24-sportline-rear-subframe-bushes.html

I finally bought:
A2023510942 Rubber mounting 2 off
A2029900504 Bolt 2 off
A2023520046 Stop Plate 2 off

... but I do not yet know whether they will be fit.

Regarding the rear control arms, they are not Sportline-specific. I bought a complete Lemfoerder 33500 01 kit. It appears to be available here:
https://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/1271748

Hope that's of some use. I can give you other part numbers if you do not have access to the EPC.

Regarding dampers, I went for the original equipment Sachs (115 070/106 879 Front/Rear).

RayH
PS: The misery comes with the front lower control arms. Only MB is any use and they're over €500 each!!!

Thanks for that Ray - very informative.

I'm going to shot blast and refurb the old rear LCA's - the push in bushs are available as are Polybushes.

If you're polybushing then it's probably worth it, otherwise the stock arms are sufficently cheap it's not worth the hassle for direct replacement.

Don't forget to replace the hub carrier bush where the lower arm bolts in. Klann do a tool that makes it ridiculously easy, 2 mins to press the old one out, reset and new one in.

If you do need one of these, I have an original MB one that I am willing to sell.
Only been used for two bushes so far.

Tony

PM sent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom