W124 various electronics related questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MantaOwner

Car
1994 W124 E220 sedan A/T
Hi all, it's my first post here, hope to spend some good time in this forum.
I have a 1994 W124 E220 sedan A/T. Got some questions.
1) Combination switch doesn't turn on high beams when you pull it towards the steering wheel and hold it, what can be wrong? All other functions (wiper and turning lights work fine, also high beams stay on when the switch is pushed away from the steering wheel) are ok.
2) How to change (how to get to) the small bulb that lights the left air vent above the main light switch in the dashbord? My car has the driving wheel on the left side as we have a right hand side traffic in our country.
3) The biggest problem - sometimes the starter doesn't get power from the ignition switch when the key is turned, I've then mechanically connected two "+" wires together on the starter for a moment until the engine starts. I know that the "+" wire runs from the ignition switch to the reverse switch connector first, where is this connector and how can I get to it? Starter itself is 100% ok. Ignition switch has not been checked yet.
4) I plan to install footwell lights for both front and rear seats, where should I take the signal from? Ideally those lights should work together with the front roof light but it's not convenient to run new wires from the roof to the floor.

Tõnu

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies in this thread guys, you have been really helpful ;).
Maybe someone in this forum has seen a W124 before from a short distance or even has driven one before and knows the answer to the 4th question? I already solved the first 3 ..

Tõnu

The interior lights use a switched earth. Probably easiest to pick up a live supply close to the lights, common the earths and run one earth cable back to a door switch

Nick Froome

Sounds like a plan, thanks.
I've been searching for different lights and bulbs that I could use for footwell lighting but haven't found a good solution yet, what do you suggest? LEDs tend to be spotlights, I would like the lamps to distribute their light all around the footwell area and also, if possible, match the color of factory interior lights that is a bit yellowish. I'm thinking of some sort of tube lights that are around 20-40cm in length. I plan to install 2 lights under the dash (1 on both sides) and also 1 light under each front seat for lighting the floor behind the front seats.

Tõnu

To get at the air vent bulb, you just pull out the air vent. It is secured in place by four spring tabs, two at the top, two at the bottom, easily visible inside the vent. Use a pair of small screw drivers or similar to loosen each pair of tabs then ease the vent out. The bulb holder just pulls out and pushes in, very easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom