w126 560sec starting up issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arfan786

Car
mercedes benz 560 sec
hi guys

I need help and advice another problem which i dont need with the car i am currently trying to sort out the suspension issues on my sec. However today i am faced with a new issue with car it starts from cold no problem but after running for a while or driving and switching the car off it doesn't start up straight away for some reason?

I was thinking it maybe an alarm or immboliser issue but that works all fine literally I have the car on for a bit switch off it doesn't start till after a good 15mins or so? :S :(

Its cranks up but just doesn't turn over almost feels like there is no fuel going in? but strangely after a short while it decides to start up? Also what i find strange is before the car was revving high but recently its idling normal?

I am really confused as to what i should be looking ofr i have a look under the bonnet all seems ok nothing loose no wires or cables loose etc?

any ideas?

Sounds like a classic crankshaft position sensor problem. They often cause problems in this way before failing.

how about fuel pump relay issue? its really puzzling?

I'd probably check out the fuel pump relay first.

I had the same problem on a 560 that I recently sold, changed the fuel pump relay, changed the ignition control module, then the crank shaft sensor & still no luck. It must have gone to 3 different "mechanics" that all just stood there scratching their heads. It had a spark but just wouldn't fire up, I ended up having it recovered back on to my drive.

It also left me frustrated & confused until one day I went out & brought a new set of HT leads.... It fired up straight away even though the old ones had a spark coming through

It could br the OVP on it's way out.

i had little fiddle around with fuel pump relay and my suspicions are its definately the fuel pump relay.

anyone know if these are still available from mercedes new? or anywhere else where i could buy one?

Better off looking on eBay or try the SEC SHOP in Kent, they'll defo have it

will give chaz a call.

oh by the way cant really tell in your avatar picture is that a widebody sec?[/QUOTE]

No it's not a wide body. Yours looks very well

rang chaz he wants £190 for a new relay a bit steep i think.

any ideas where else may have one?

Skhan thanks car looks differe t to the pics now it has amg skirts and bumpers all genuine parts plus amg lip spoiler which i bought from chaz and also car now sits on amg oz splits.:thumb:

Post up the part number of the FPR you are looking for.

arfan786 said:
rang chaz he wants £190 for a new relay a bit steep i think.

any ideas where else may have one?

Skhan thanks car looks differe t to the pics now it has amg skirts and bumpers all genuine parts plus amg lip spoiler which i bought from chaz and also car now sits on amg oz splits.:thumb:

I think I might have an old SEC coming next week (if the price is right) that I need some cosmetic bits off for mine, it runs & I won't be needing the relay. If I get it I'll be sure to let you know.... £190 is too expensive.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of that, you'll have to upload some.

I've just booked mine in to get re-done. Can't wait to drive it again, it's been off the road for 6 years

I think I might have an old SEC coming next week (if the price is right) that I need some cosmetic bits off for mine, it runs & I won't be needing the relay. If I get it I'll be sure to let you know.... £190 is too expensive.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of that, you'll have to upload some.

I've just booked mine in to get re-done. Can't wait to drive it again, it's been off the road for 6 years

yeah let me know that will be cool. i will post some pictures of it once I get a decent camera etc and then upload vis phoitobucket.

Fuel pump relays are either on or off, they don't sort of work or half work. When you turn the ignition on can you hear the fuel pump buzz? If you can then the fuel pump relay is working.

It might have cracks in the dry joints which cause it to turn the pump off as the car is on the fly. Have you taken the cover off & either looked at the solder or just gone ahead & re-soldered the lot?

i am pretty sure its the fuel pump relay because when i bridged the centre parts together it engages the fuel pump and cars starts fine. pins 7-8 i bridged and car started fine.

i am pretty sure its the fuel pump relay because when i bridged the centre parts together it engages the fuel pump and cars starts fine. pins 7-8 i bridged and car started fine.

You say it starts fine cold,are you bridging the FPR when the engine is warmed up? if you are you have found the fault,if you are not then you must look for a heat related cause,engine temp sensor would be my first instinct,does it smell of fuel after a hard start?

FPR's on this model are a pain in the backside. Luckily I bought new ones from MB when they were still available at £30 each!

Now they are not available at all. Although I suspect they will bring them back at multiple times the price.

Anyway, I would change the FPR with a good one and also change the OVP with a new one from MB.
At this age the OVP can cause all sorts of issues and should be changed as a service item IMO.

You say it starts fine cold,are you bridging the FPR when the engine is warmed up? if you are you have found the fault,if you are not then you must look for a heat related cause,engine temp sensor would be my first instinct,does it smell of fuel after a hard start?
yeah i am bridging when engine is warmed up. and also do get a smell of fule after hard start.

FPR's on this model are a pain in the backside. Luckily I bought new ones from MB when they were still available at £30 each!

Now they are not available at all. Although I suspect they will bring them back at multiple times the price.

Anyway, I would change the FPR with a good one and also change the OVP with a new one from MB.
At this age the OVP can cause all sorts of issues and should be changed as a service item IMO.

hi jay

I rang mercedes birmingham central they quoted 19+VAT but they have been on back order for a over a year.

is there any chance you have a spare one which you could sell possibly??:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom