W126 Leather Repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rose Chap

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus GS450h
I need the help of the many informed people of this forum!

Recently I bought a bargain W126 as a fun car and I've been slowly giving it a bit of a low cost spruce up. Cif (which you and I know as Jif) did wonders on the grey trim such as grab handles and door cards, and my Meiguiars leather cleaner has made the inside smell nice, however the leather is 20 years old and is cracked in places.

The drivers seat has a wear hole in the side bolster which has been rubbed the most. Picture below.

300SE001.jpg

There is also a slight tear in the drivers seat material. It's nothing big but I'd prefer it if it wasn't there. Picture below.

300SE005.jpg

Also, the leather cracks are evident on most of the seats to an extent, but most noticable on the driver's seat and on the arm rest. Pictures below.

300SE003.jpg

300SE004.jpg

So my question is, what's the best way of fixing.
1. The hole in the driver's bolster
2. The small tear in the driver's seat
3. The age cracks in the leather

I've heard very good things about Gliptone. Does anyone on here have any recommendations or advice?

I'm looking for cost effective remedies if possible, a complete re-trim is not an option. :)

Many thanks in advance.

liquidleather worked well on a few scuffs when i had my CLK.

i plan to use furnature clinics (google it) leather repair kits as a fix on my SL. i dont reckon the repair will stay good on the bolster though, if not i will recover at some point.

Coachtrimmers can replace individual panels. There is no other option for your bolster, I guess, unless you find a replacement seat on eBay for less than £100; you may even find a complete set of seats for a price that makes sense to you,

My local coachtrimmer (Barton's in Luton) has stock of MB leather, not that it is a large company. There will be a suitable trimmer somewhere near you:

Car Trimmers & Upholsterers in the UK (on MyCartel Business Pages)

Gliptone amd similar products should help you with the abrasions and superficial cracks. Use a cleaner first. When done, make it a regular job -- say at least every six months or so.

I would do away with that interior... I know it sounds extreme..

But it would be a false economy to keep throwing money at that interior via products & creams.... When its quite clear that bolster is beyond repair.

For the price for having just the bolster redone look at what you can now pick up for these old W126's.

The link below is for an SE, dont know if that is any good to you.

Mercedes * Leather interior * black. w126 300se 420se on eBay, also, Mercedes-Benz, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 20-Jun-09 00:43:32 BST)

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips.

I'm afraid replacing the whole interior is a bit extreme for me! :) For starters I lack the necessary skills to remove and then replace everything, and to be honest I don't think the interior of my W126 (barring what I've highlighted in earlier posts) is that bad - certainly I can live with it.

I'm amazed how cheap that entire leather interior is going for though!

I think I'll try a bottle of this liquid leather stuff (it's pretty cheap and requires little skill to use, therefore right up my street) and some leather conditioner (which can also be used on my other cars).

I'll update this thread with the results when done.

Last edited:
Hi to everyone this is my first message on this forum
I've a W209 with 2 different leather colours:

Alpaca grey and dark alpaca grey

Now the problem is that my leater shop don't reconaize last one...
What colour is dark alpaca grey?
Can you help me?

Thanks

Alex

Hi to everyone this is my first message on this forum
I've a W209 with 2 different leather colours:

Alpaca grey and dark alpaca grey

Now the problem is that my leater shop don't reconaize last one...
What colour is dark alpaca grey?
Can you help me?

Thanks

Alex

hi alex - you're best starting your question as a new thread in the interior section.... put your chassis no into the russian spec site (link in the favorites section) and it should show the code. alternatively, it will be on your data card... or ask the dealer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom