W163 Towbar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jane270ML

Car
ML 270 Cdi
Hi guys & gals.
If you have a W163 with a towbar, could you please let me know which type (detachable, swan neck, fixed) & brand (Oris, Westfalia, Witter etc) you have fitted.
And the dimension from the bumper to center of towbar ball, and from the ground to center of ball.
Any other comments would also help.
TIA
J

Main consideration for this towbar system is what type of electrical socket you want, double or single

Hello
I have just fitted a WITTER tow bar to my 2003 ML270, fitting tow bar was easy, bumper off (four bolts) then fit chassis supports to both sides, then four bolts to fit tow bar to rear cross member. the slightly difficult part was wiring, i used the Mercedes wiring block (located in left hand side rear of vehicle, behind the two vents that can be seen when bumper off) this had all lights feed, i fitted a 7 way bypass relay, used the live feed in the block by putting a fuse in slot 18, in fuse box under bonnet.
Fun starts cutting the bumper to fit round the tow bar. Best way is little at a time and offer bumper up. Once that's done, i then cut the cover to fit, again a little at a time. Whole process took about 4-5 hours. I did not go for a detachable, just because the witter one was a good price, £82 off e bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom