W164 rear SAM unit gone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Werra2006

Car
W164 ML280 2006
Last Thursday I got a mrssagebon the dash saying that my brake lights had gone and I had to change. The backup light were turned on and wouldn't turn off. So I bought a paid and changed both but the message remained. I took the car to Andy Gayle who told me today that its the SAM unit that is gone and replace will cosy me £399 plus VAT. Now that's a lot of money considering that they'll also charge me for the diagnostic and labour so would be looking at a bill of £600. Want I want to know is.......is the SAM repairable and who would you recommend? Is buying a 2nd hand advisable?

Thank you

If you trust the opinion of Andy Gayle, the SAM is the ONLY issue, then it's safe enough to buy a used one.

Buy on ebay and if it doesn't work it can be returned.

Doesn't work like that if it turns out to not be the SAM after all....

Thanks PaulG. I got the SAM unit off eBay for £200 and everything is working as it should. The one I removed looked like it had some water damage. Upon inspection of the storage area, I coudnlt see any water & I couldn't figure how out how and from where the water went it there. Probably something to research on next.

Glad you sorted it.

Its a common problem and you can sometimes clean the circuit board on the Sam by using Isopropyl alcohol (Maplin), which will bring it back to life. Probably a good idea to replace the rear light water seals too before the new one gets damaged.

Can any W164 Rear SAM unit be used from the yr of manufacture - or do I need the exact one for my car - with the exact part number. Ive bid on a couple of ebay and the vendors have said they wont work with my 2007 W164 when Ive given my VIN, despite the ebay compatibility tool saying that they would work. Can anyone help me on this. They were W164 SAMs.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum, you will need to replace like for like, so that means getting the part numbers off of your original SAM unit. Sometimes the part numbers are not so easy to see without a bit of dismantling, but perhaps use the photos from vendors on Ebay to find out where the part numbers are stamped, to help you find yours.

Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom