W168 A160 Auto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LvR

Car
A160 W168
Hi guys

As usual the long time lurker has to eventually beg for help/assistance from all the knowledgeable people here..........................

I am stumped with the Assyst on this vehicle (W168 033) - I have quite successfully been fault-finding and servicing the thing myself for a long time now with no real complaints and with the aid of a Autel scan/monitoring tool (not nearly as powerful or comprehensive as the STAR system but it served me well with everything thus far) ...................

So - its obvious that by now I should be used to the resetting of the Assyst system on the vehicle - ie:

The how to reset the Assyst, Procedure.

1. Turn the key to position 2 in the ignition lock and immediately press button 000.0 twice within the space of one second.
  2. Turn the key to position 0 in the ignition lock.
  3. Press and hold button 000.0 then turn the key to position 2 in the ignition lock, Keeping button 000.0 pressed, don’t let go!!!! You will hear a beep.
  4. The service message with current remaining distance or remaining time appears. Keep button 000.0 pressed!!!
  5. After about 10 seconds, an acoustic signal will sound and the service display with the new starting distance or starting time appears for about 10 seconds.
  6. Now release button 000.0
  7. Thats it you’ve reset your service indicator.

Now I know I have done this probably 30 times over the life of the vehicle with no hassles. This morning proudly finished changing the oil and filter, checked and wiped everything clean, washed hands got in the car and wouldn’t you believe it the Assyst thing refuses to behave normally - ie reset the service indicator on the dash to the expected 15000km value as usual.......................... today it only gets reset (set???) to 0 (was something like 2150 before I changed the oil).

So obviously I must be suffering from finger/brain problems and I repeat the procedure - MANY times over ..................but the result stays the same - 0km left.

Using my Autel scan tool I can see the oil service period having been reset to about 2 years and the Assyst computer reports that it knows I have not driven any distance since the oil change - its just as if the dash display has a mind of its own and keeps reporting 0kms left before the next service.

So I jump on the net and read a lot of threads on the topic, and bumped into a supposed complete ecu reset procedure following this recipe:

The following advise is given by Mercedes where the ASSYST service indicator cannot be re-set, do not confuse this with the fact that your are not using the correct procedure or just haven't got the knack!
*Turn the ignition key to position ) and remove
* Pull fuses 28, 30 ( be aware that your alarm may go off)
* wait for 2 seconds
Replace the fuses, ensure they are replaced in their original positions. *Insert Key and turn to position two
*Continue with re-set procedure as above.

This doesn’t help me though ....................... same 0km result.

What I do note is that the little service indicator "spanner" icon on the dash seems to change/toggle between only one indicated to two indicated and then back to one indicated again with every reset procedure I go through

So I am stuck - any knowledgeable person that can take pity on me and point me to where my logic is failing me or that can highlight what I am obviously missing here please?

Much appreciate any insight

Thanks man - if I don’t have joy locally or via the forum I will have to - I am in South Africa though! :devil:

Just for future reference to anybody with similar issues:

I decided I will get my own C4 Star ex China because the local dealers seem to be unwilling or incapable of tackling the problem.

Plugged it in, bit of inspection and figured the Assyst controller has somehow forgotten what engine my car has in it :-( ........................ its gone blank with the result that it had no way/method of determining expected oil usage parameters - hence the 0 after a reset ......................

Chose the correct one, coded it, reset Assyst again, corrected for the already driven distance on the oil and once again all is fine. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom